Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

11/19/2011 youth hunt

Old 11-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default 11/19/2011 youth hunt

I took my son on his first deer hunt during youth weekend in Hocking County in Ohio. we were in the pine woods at day break and right away we heard two deer fighting to our right. i told him to get ready, and we waited. about 5 minutes had passed and this guy came towards us from the right. he was 70 yards out in front of us and stopped behind a tree just like they always seem to do and gave him a slightly quartering away shot. he was saying he didn't have a shot, and couldn't see the shoulder. i told him to pretend the tree was the shoulder and to fire. he did. the deer bolted off about 20 yards and stopped. he looked around for about 5 minutes and slowly walked off back into the woods. we gave him a few minutes and my son was getting all bummed because he thought he had missed. i told him from the deer body movements that he was hit but i did not know where. we went to where he had stood and started the trail. we had good trail for 150 yard and the trail just stopped. could not find anything to go on. my son starts getting that disgusted feeling again and i told him from the direction he was traveling he would be on top of the mtn we were climbing. we walked over the top and he was there. he traveled 200yrds. his shot was good. he hit liver on entry and far lung on exit. i am a proud poppa. This is his first deer
Attached Thumbnails 11/19/2011 youth hunt-100_1075.jpg  
Old 11-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

congrats to your son very nice deer! Im from vemront actually leaving for ohio in a few days. First time ever going anywhere hunting. we are hunting in hocking county so this story deff got my blood pumping.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Nice youth season buck! Tell your son congrats!

Ryan, Thats a good county to hunt in. A lot of deer running around there. Good luck.
-Jake
Old 11-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Spike

Congrats to the little man.