Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Calls and scents

Old 08-14-2003, 06:31 PM

Default Calls and scents

As you all know I am new here so forgive me if this has been discussed many times before........but I would like to know which combination of calls, cover scents and attractants others have had success with.

I personally prefer M.A.D. calls over any other. I bought my first one several years ago and I believe that it helped me tremendously in bagging most of my big bucks. I have tried mostly all of the other brands of calls and never did have any success with them. I use the type with the O-ring adjustable reed and have become pretty adept at calling in deer with it. The newer ones come with a snort/wheeze tube which I always break off just because the first time I tried it I spooked a few deer.

As far as cover scent, I normally use a good dose of Scent Killer (not partial to any specific brand actually), combined with Cronk' s cedar or earth cover scent. This seems to be a winning combo........I have hardly ever had a deer spook from scenting me. I re-apply the cedar many times throughout the day, and crush and rub green cedar boughs all over myself frequently as well.

I have never found an attractant that seems to add to my success however. Every time I use estrus or dominant buck urine, I fail to see much deer activity, and I have NEVER seen a buck while using these scents. I have tried various brands - Tink' s, Cronk' s, Golden Estrus and many others, with no positive results. I realize it may just be coincidental, but I' m not so sure.

I would like to know which calls, cover scents, and attractants have produced good results for others. Let' s hear your favorites as well as WHY they are your favorites.
Hoping for some good responses!!
Old 08-14-2003, 07:46 PM

Default RE: Calls and scents

I absolutely love the Truetalker grunt call fom HS. You can do things with it that you couldn' t even imagine doing with other calls. It is also easy to use, you should give it a try.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I carry 4 into the woods with me, the grunt tube from www.rivervalleygamecalls.com , the True Talker, the 6n1 from WoodsWise and a generic no name call with superior sound. Each has worked on one occassion or another.

Scents, I don' t use them. In 20 years of bowhunting, scents have disappointed me more than they have impressed me so I prefer scentless as can be. Scents are a money maker and nothing more....sure they might work once in a while but I' d bet they scare more than they draw....

I rely on woodsmanship, scouting, knowledge, ability and calls.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:58 PM

So both of you have had good results with the Truetalker......interesting. My father bought one of those and let me test it out since he isn' t as serious about calling as me. I found it sounded realistic but was a bit touchy - whenever I tried to position my finger in the same spot I would produce different tones. Of course like any call it takes practice to become good at it.....which is maybe why I found myself going back to my old standby after a couple of days. Does anyone else find that calls become more effective after they are broken in? I have a newer M.A.D. as well as my older one, and I find that the older one sounds more authentic after a few seasons of use. I have also tried the M.A.D. power punch, which I gave away because I didn' t like it at all. The simple O-ring adjustable reeds work best for me.

Rob......do you use any kind of cover scent or none whatsoever? I find cover scents seem to help my odds but the attractants I agree seem to be a ripoff. I don' t think I will be spending much cash on " hot doe pee" this season.....just doesn' t seem to work for me at all.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

" True Talker" best call I' ve ever used.I had luck last season useing the Tinks doe in heat smoke sticks during the rut.It puts out a lot of scent and last a long time.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Hi Split-Hoof ,
whether in the rut or not a lady has to eat . Persimmons are the best doe lure I' ve ever tried , and bucks follow the ladies . If persimmons aren' t available where you live look for japanese persimmons in the produce section of a larger grocery store . They are bigger than ours , and seedless ! Combine with a doe grunt call for fatal attraction .
Old 08-15-2003, 06:26 AM

Calls - Tru-Talked and the can.
Always use Scentshield or scent killer
Cover scent - i do sometimes an earth scent.
Attractant - i do sometimes. Kirschners Silvertop during the rut. I' ve also use Doc' s brand with limited success
Old 08-15-2003, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I like the true talker also, I could care less about attractants, I have never seen one work yet, now a used kotex, that is a different story, but they have to be fresh and replaced/removed after every hunt. Of course you have to convince the other half to make donations![] I try to be as scentless as possible and of course play the wind.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:07 AM

I am surprised that so many here have written off attractants. I have had some great luck using the " special golden estrus" from wildlife research center. i use it on a drag on the walk in and then hang it nearby when i am up in the stand. many times i have had bucks come trotting in and go straight to the scent...
Old 08-15-2003, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Taz,

How do you play the wind? Is it a " wind" instrument where you have to blow air into it, or a " string" instrument where you use a " bow."

I' ll bet you' re good with " wind" instruments, ' cause your full of hot air, and your lousy with a bow. (I bet I' ll pay for that one.)

Where the heck is Rack Attack?

Quick Reply: Calls and scents

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.