Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Calls and scents

Old 08-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Calls and scents

Split-Hoof,

I absolutely go as scentless as possible with no cover scents, just Scent Killers. Let' s say your neighboring property uses the same cover scent as you...now let' s say he' s the biggest slob hunter the ever existed...smelling like coffee, gas, breakfast..etc....constantly busting bucks. These bucks are going to associate that scent with danger and avoid it....meanwhile, they avoid you with the same cover scent.... Now it' s not going to happen all the time or maybe none at all but I won' t take that chance, other than calls and a few sparring matches with real antlers, I never try to give away my presence, or let them know I was ever there. Scentless, Sightless and other than calls, Silent.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:21 PM

That makes sense........if other hunters use similar cover scents, or if you use it often enough, it could be possible for deer to associate the smell with danger. The area I hunt is forestry land open to the public, so there are always other hunters about, even if you distance yourself from them as much as possible.

I use cedar as a cover, but have found that the commercially available products don' t truly mimic the natural aroma of the local cedar. This is the reason I crush and rub boughs on myself, keep my clothes in a bag with cedar/spruce, and also why I took an interest in making my own cover scent from natural local sources.

My project for this year will be trying to create a usable homemade cedar scent. I' m not sure of the best way to go about it......it' ll take some trial and error for sure. If I' m succesful I think it just might give me a little extra edge this fall. Actually that would be a good past-time for me while I am waiting for my ankle to heal!! I just might get started on that so I have time to perfect it the best I can.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Think about the " Social Contact Grunt." If you were a buck looking for action, and you heard a deer (probably a doe) performing a Social Contact Grunt, wouldn' t you go check it out.

The popping sound or " clicking" as many of us call it, is often used by bucks while folowing does. I have several times seen a video on PBS, where a buck was walking and performing a clicking sound. The clicking got faster, and as it speeded up it turned into a tending grunt. Therefore, I suspect it is just a slower version (slowly expelling air) of a grunt.

As far as the grunt/snort; the snort by itself is usually an attempt to warn other deer of danger. I often snort back when I hear deer snort (as they see of heer me). If the deer don' t SMELL me they usualy calm down. I' ve even had deer come closer as I made the sound. But, I don' t blow it loud.

The Grunt-Snort is a call used primarily by bucks, and is a threat. Don' t use it unless you are trying to challenge/enrage a big buck.

There are two threads (with excerpts from my books) on my T.R.' s Tips forum " Understanding Deer Vocalizations' and " Deer Calling." Check them out.
I' d enjoy having you join us.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:24 PM

Thanks tr, I will go check those out right now!!
Old 08-18-2003, 12:01 PM

On the strength of all the positive comments about the Truetalker I bought one this weekend. It sounds great to me; in ten more weeks I' ll see how it sounds to the deer.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the K&H Grunter Plus most often and sometimes my old Widow Maker which allows me to change the settings with an o-ring. The most popular call here is the True Talker, due to range and ease of use. Personally I make all other calls by mouth and like the ability of hands free talking.

I don' t use cover scents but do use scent killer spray. Most important thing to me is try and be a scent free personally as possible and use the wind!!!

Attractant scents, for the most part not great results. However last year we had a number and the Still Steamin Doe Estrus by scent shields produced the best results. I think they can enhance your setup but more imprtantly you must have a solid setup to begin with! Thus I can' t really say that the scent used greatly increased our odds or just good location, scouting and homework by the hunter! BTW. I had the scents blowing to me(upwind) and all the deer that came were upwind of the scents, so i think a lot had to due with location & rattling/calling but they definately held a few bucks when they did get a wiff!
Old 08-18-2003, 02:17 PM

skeeter - I agree completely with the point you make about having a good setup. If you haven' t done your homework, then no combination of calls and/or " magic potion" is going to help you much.

It seems I' m not the only one who has been dissapointed in attractant type scents. If you find one that deer seem to like, it may as you say hold them in one spot longer for better shot opportunities. I haven' t had any luck so far getting a buck to come close when using any of these products however. Possibly because many others are dousing the woods with similar bottled scents? I wonder how much different the bottled scents smell to a deer when compared to fresh, natural urine?
Whether my experiences are coincidental or not I can' t be sure, but the use of bottled urine hasn' t improved my odds at all.

Another subject I am curious about......I never really have used glandular scents such as tarsal glands before. I wonder how they compare to urine scents? I have seen some bold claims on hunting shows, but have learned to take what I hear on these with a grain of salt until i can confirm or discount the claims through experience. Have any of you found glandular scents to be effective?

Maybe someone I know will score on a buck before I do this year, and let me have the tarsal glands so I can do some experimenting.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Split-hoof I used the carbon sprays last season,I never was busted with it.I used it the night befor and it seems to build up with each use and helps you stay scentless.For cover up,the best I' ve ever used was cheap Wal-Mart doe pee.It doesn' t attract them just hides your scent.BUT always play the wind,nothing is magic.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the info FlDeerman, sounds like the carbon sprays work well. My only concern is I have heard it leaves dark stains. In my state blaze orange is required, and it actually has to be a certain " brightness" to be legal. Did you find it left any stains or residue?
Old 08-20-2003, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL,I' ll make this REAL simple.Will it leave a dark stain,yes.IF you don' t follow the directions.Shake well and spray at a distance,it works just fine.I spray my stuff while it' s hanging up,not on me.

Quick Reply: Calls and scents

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.