Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Calls and scents

Old 08-15-2003, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Calls and scents

TR I actually load up on beans and cabbage for buck snorts!

In regards to my ability with a bow, why don' t you take me out with you some time and you can critique me on any deer or elk you put me on to![8D] Of course I want them within 25 yards minimum. Hey maybe a moose![:-]
Old 08-15-2003, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh one more thing TR if I miss, I pay for the trip, if I stick one you pay!
Old 08-15-2003, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

In other words you really are playing a " wind" instrument.[]

You' re offer of the hunt reminds me I have just the hunt for you. I have a guaranteed elk hunt here in Minnesota. The cost is $4000 for the hunt (paid up front), if you don' t get one I' ll refund $2000. []

Since the only people who can hunt elk in Minnesota are residents, and the chances of getting a " once in a lifetime" permit are slim and none, just give me the $2000, and I' ll drag you around the woods for 5 days, and we' ll chalk it up to " in-field training."
Old 08-15-2003, 08:04 AM

I am never far away

I use the true-talker also - I like that call

I am not a big scent guy either - but.....I have a few stands set up that may play into a scent drag tactic. I have done this in the past with some success (smaller bucks though). I will if conditions present themselves to do some dragging this year

Oh - I also am a fan of the can - maaaaaaaaaa....maaaaaaaaaa....maaaaaaaaaaa
Music to my ears
Old 08-15-2003, 10:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since the only people who can hunt elk in Minnesota are residents, and the chances of getting a " once in a lifetime" permit are slim and none, just give me the $2000, and I' ll drag you around the woods for 5 days, and we' ll chalk it up to " in-field training."
TR that was a classic comeback!
Old 08-15-2003, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you,

I try.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:31 PM

Wow seems like everyone loves the Truetalker! Perhaps I should do some more practicing with it and take it into the woods with me this fall.....

Baiting is not legal in my state, and I also consider it somewhat unethical. Not to say I look down on anyone who hunts over bait.....everyone has their own definition of a fair hunt.

How many of you use carbon sprays? Was wondering how they compare to Scent Killer or Scent Shield.

Also has anybody experimented with making homemade cover scents? I brewed some last year from young poplar buds. I stunk the whole house up making it and it left a sticky residue, but I was impressed with the effectiveness of it. It was quite strong and seemed to mask my scent very well, and being a natural native aroma didn' t seem to spook deer at all.

Another thing I do is keep my hunting clothes in an airtight plastic bag starting a few weeks before the season, along with a few spruce and cedar boughs. After the hunt they go right back into the bag and are left outside (unless they need to be dried first).
Old 08-15-2003, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

I just purchased a primos hands call a couple of days ago and it has 5 different deer noises from a trophy buck grunt to a estrus doe bleat and it sounds amazing. But the real test will be when I take it to the woods with me. Oh and the other great thing is that it is about 3 inches long so it is not a big bulky thing around your neck or in your mouth.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Not one of the several researchers/biologists I talk to on a regular basis has ever heard or recorded a call that was used by a doe to " tell" a buck she was in estrus. There doesn' t seem to be a doe " estrus" call !!!

The call the " experts" claim is a doe bleat is probably a Social Contact Grunt, which is louder and longer than other grunts, and is used by deer when they are separated from each other.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:10 PM

Now there' s an interesting bit of information! I had always thought (as well as most hunters I assume) that there was such a thing as a doe estrus bleat. This could be due to the fact that call manufacturers want to sell more products I suppose. So the idea is that deer associate the so-called estrus bleat with more of a " hey, over here!" , other than " hey baby give me some loving" ?

I' m curious if anyone has used the " popping" type sound that bucks make during/after breeding with any success. The video that came with the M.A.D. Power Punch call talked about calling this way, but i could never do it even after many hours of practicing. As I said before, I didn' t like that call much anyway. Basically it is a series of soft clicking or popping noises. It' s not one I will bother with, but was just wondering if any of you have put it to good use or not.

Another thing I dislike is the snort/wheeze calls. I don' t like the idea of using an " alarm" type noise to call in deer. Just seems to me it would spook more deer than it would bring in. I did try it once and did indeed send deer fleeing.....so never bothered again. Anybody disagree with this?

Quick Reply: Calls and scents

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.