Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is this kid too young to be hunting?

Old 10-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is this kid too young to be hunting?

Coach Stankowski is at it again. My little girl is only five, but I'm wondering how old your kid should be before you take them out on a serious hunt.

http://www.centralwisconsinsports.ne...he-kid-in-tow/
Old 10-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Spike

Only you as the Parent should make that decision. Every kid is different.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I started taking my kids hunting with me when they were about 5 years old. My daughter would fall back asleep sucking her fingers.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Spike

I agree it is a parents choice to as when he can hunt but as far as taking him with you I love it the excitement my 10 year old has had the last 3 years i will never forget.
The fondest I have had was I had 2 does at 40 to 50 yards in front of a box stand and my mentally handicapped son flapping his arm in excitement and the does turning there head almost upside down to figure out what he was. The previous week I had shot one he could not see from the box stand because the light was about gone but I love hunting with him. I hate I lost the box stand it made a good location to keep him warm and I would have loved to see him take a deer from it. I plan to let him pull the trigger this year, last year I was standing beside him and dropped a doe at 20 yds with BP.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I too would say . . .

it's not a cookie cutter decision. Every child won't fit our mold, even if we wish.
Personally, I came to hunting later than many. I well remember my smallish size in height and weight and the kick of that old 30-30, which few adults quite ever understood. Truefully, I wasn't made for hunting before twelve.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Due to the laws at the time in Michigan I couldn't bow hunt till I was 12 and couldn't gun hunt till I was 14. I think it's great that states (including MI) are allowing young kids to get out in the woods. As mentioned above each kid will be different, but I think kids should get out in the woods as soon as possible. If they are too young to shoot there is nothing wrong with letting a youngster sit with ya and have them take it all in.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

as others said,
comes down to the parents,
think kids should tag along as young as possible,
the younger the better,
you as the parent have the responsibility of hunting and keeping an eye on your kid,
as for kids hunting,
to me that is a different scenario,
i do not feel safe sharing the woods with a 10-12 yr old holding a gun, no matter how responsible the parent claims his kid is.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Spike

If they can pass a hunters education course ON THEIR OWN and can hadle a firearm or bow then I say put them out there. I feel like this should be what says if they are able to hunt or not. I feel age should not be a factor.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son started hunting at 6. He got his first game at 6 - a squirrel. His first big game animal was a spike whitetail buck at 7. I also took him on an exotic hunt when he was 7 and he shot a Corsican ram with his 308 Win.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Spike

I started when i was 4 yrs old with my cap gun,then my dad let me carry a 22 single shot
with out the bolt in it.when we would see a squirrel or rabbit sitting we would put the bolt in and let me shoot (bagged my first squirrel at 5 )
he would make me pretend the gun was loaded all the times and would let me have it if
the barrel ever pointed in the wrong direction.(still have lumps on my head :-) )
but by the time i could hunt (PA 12 yrs old) I was very well educated on how to handle
a gun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.