Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Watch those deer ticks...

Old 07-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

That's why I only hunt in the winter.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

I am one of the unlucky souls who have the tick-attracting gene, in one weekend of turkey hunting I found over 80 ticks on me, thankfully only one was a deer tick and it wasn't biting so I'm safe. also thankfully when deer hunting all the ticks are dead due to the fact i hunt in northern MN.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate those little monsters. About a month back I pulled a fully engorged tick off of my dog. I put the thing into a medicine vial. Since then I pulled 2 more ticks off of another dog and threw them in the vial too. It looked like the first tick died, the thing never moved. The other two, although I crunched one pretty good, are crawling all over that vial. The one I thought was dead I thought I saw move its legs the other day, not sure. This thing turned into a science project of sorts. Yesterday, I noticed "stuff" all over the inside of the vial, like part of one of the beasties exploded. Last night I looked closer and these tiny dots all over the vial AND THEY ARE MOVING. I think the "dead" tick had about a zillion babies! Experiment over. As soon as I find my tick spray I'm dropping that vial in a plastic bag, spraying the crap out of it, then opening it up and spray some more.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

Another thing is, once you have had lymes, your future tests will always be positive. Alot of Dr.s will put you on Tetracycline and treat you with out the test. Also, watch out for all the nock off tick preventers for your dogs. I only trust (Frontline). We tried some other (cheaper) stuff and my dog got siezures and almost died. The Vet said this other product is known to be fatal at times and has a very high allergic reaction rate. Be careful!!!! and always vaccinate your dog for lymes, it truely works.

It is kinda fun though hav'n moma do the tick check on me.