Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting with rocks

Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dunno, I could see something in a 44 or 50 caliber doing the trick. But how does one get a 44 or 50 pound rock 30 feet up a tree? That'll take some stones! A fifty pounder would exert 222.41 Newtons if it were merely dropped. Would that be enough to flatten a deer?

Most states prescribe legal methods of take. If it's not included, it's excluded. I doubt stones are acceptable in this day and age.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Spike

Default baseball

I think a rock and a cork/cowhide baseball have a few intrinsic differences as to hardness/killability. I have never heard of someone baseballing someone to death, but in ancient times people where stoned to death. Again I am not saying that this is an easy task or that I could do it. I am just wondering what the laws pertaining to this ancient art form are. Look this up, Native Americans could do this and still do. Now I do know that Native Americans can continue old tribal traditions scotch free from the law but what about average Joe schmoe's. I recently sent an e-mail to the DNR requesting this information and will let everyone know what they say. Again though this is not a discussion on how hard this would be (that is pretty evident to anyone with a brain or who has hunted with a rifle/bow) but as to the laws as to whether or not you can do it.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Spike

Default running a deer down

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...CF&oref=slogin This and old article from the New York Times(by old I mean western days) about Apache warriors running down deer and slitting their throat. Due to the fact that other animals don't sweat(they only perspire through their mouths) we can keep cool for longer periods of time and therefore run them down over a few miles and kill them. If this is possible from a well trained human(sometimes groups of humans) then I would believe that killing an animal with a rock is also possible. Now I'm not saying that many present day humans can achieve this. Your average Budweiser drinking Marlboro Red smoking ATV riding hunter couldn't even imagine this in his wildest nightmares. But for a well trained Native American who would have to do this and other primitive hunting methods to provide for his family and tribe I have little doubt that this is possible.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cmartsk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz3qK_97jXE It is an old Native American method to hunt animals and yes people do use rocks. believe it or not there are people out there that can actually chase the deer down for about a mile until it becomes too tired to continue and then kill it up close and personal with whatever they want. Thanks to the people who took this seriously and to the others, get the rocks out of your head.

Are you freaking kidding me. You actually bought into that idiotic Youtube video. That was one of the most rediculous videos I have ever witnessed. I guess you believe he actually killed the deer with that rock. What a joke. I guess that guy hunted like his ancestors did, camo t-shirt, cap turned backwards with leaves stuck in it. Do you really believe a person can chase a deer for a mile or two until it gets tired and just walk up to it and kill it with a rock? A Walker hound can chase a deer for hours and never catch it, so how do you think a person is going to do it? How can you take this thread seriously? And BTW, it's certainly not legal to hunt deer with rocks in any state. That is for anyone dumb enough to think they could do it. One other thing, the idiot in the video said it's a kids nature to throw rocks at animals. I guess I wasn't a normal kid. I just forgot to go around the neighborhood throwing rocks at whatever animal got in my way. This is one of the most rediculous threads I have read since I have been on this forum. I guess I had better go find my perfect rock for this deer season.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Spike

Default superstrutter

I guess a Walker Hound is far above you in the evolutionary chain superstrutter. I've also never seen a Walker Hound build a skyscraper, go to the moon, invent black powder. Have you? Maybe because you cannot do something like this does not mean its impossible. If you knew anything about basic anatomy you would know that a human can run farther, key word farther not faster than most animals due to our far superior system of thermoregulation. So a deer may be faster but we have more endurance. An elephant may be bigger than me but I am more intelligent and can sharpen a spear and plant it in the ground. Regardless read some books on ancient civilizations and their hunting methods before you come here spewing forth what you know from the small small world you live in. BTW it is ridiculous not "rediculous."
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's funny. Have a wonderful season throwing those rocks. I'll just hunt legally with my bow, ML, and rifle. Obviously I'm not intelligent enough to take a deer by any other means. Thanks for the spell check. I'm finished with this RIDICULOUS thread.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cmartsk
I guess a Walker Hound is far above you in the evolutionary chain superstrutter. I've also never seen a Walker Hound build a skyscraper, go to the moon, invent black powder. Have you?

I lied, I'm not yet finished with this thread. We may be far more intelligent than a hound, but a hound has far more superior senses than we have. So yes, a hound is above us in some aspects. A human does not have the senses to effectively chase a deer for miles as a hound has. I promise you, a human doesn't have the endurance a Walker hound or Beagle has. You obviously are not a hunter. If you were, you wouldn't have asked some of the questions you did. I probably should have just said it's not legal to hunt deer with a rock and bitten my tounge. I still think that video was ridiculous.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Spike

Wow... All I know is that I have been a hunter my whole life... I also ran in state crosscountry meets where I ran my 5k (3.1 miles) in under 16 min and I could not imagine coming close to running down a deer... I am also a gifted baseball player that was drafted in the 2010 MLB Draft and can throw a baseball over 80 mph and I cannot imagine being able to kill a deer with a rock... I have been hit with a 100 mph baseball and I feel like that would feel like a regular person throwing a rock and I am still up and kickin.... If you are going to do this you might want to call up the Yankees and prepare for the 2012 Olympics because you are one hell of a runner and pitcher!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
I'm no expert, but I would think that primitive people foraged for plants, scavanged eggs and dead animals, caught some small game, or killed big game with preexisting injuries, etc.

I have a very hard time believing that any person could run down a healthy adult whitetail. I believe the land speed world record for humans is around 24 mph; that is on a perfectly flat course for a very short distance by a person who runs for a living. Most people couldn't run over 15 mph. In average whitetail habitat, you'd be lucky to average 8 mph for half an hour. Even if you were in a perfectly flat plain with short grass that stretched to infinity, the deer could just run a quarter mile and take a break and then run again if necessary. In most whitetail habitat, if the deer gets more than an eigth of a mile away from you it might as well be a hundred miles away - you are never going to find it on foot.

The only way to kill a whitetail with a rock would be to sit in a tree directly over a food plot or trail. And that would be very unethical considering the high likelyhood of having an injured animal escape.

But as to your question, even if using a rock was legal in your state, the applicable seasons and bag limits would apply.

While you may have a hard time believing it, it is actually true. Before spears and more modern weapons were invented humans ran down their food. Deer are very fast, but can't keep that same pace up for very long. Look at marathons and other long distance running. Humans excel at that.

I didn't believe it when I first read it either, but I've seen it too many times now not to.
read here:

http://www.quora.com/Is-there-eviden...out-their-food

On pages 40 and 41 of this account, Smith recorded that one of his Native American companions, Tortileaugo, told him about the run-down hunting technique, and claimed that it was effective in running down bears, buffaloes, elk and deer. They then tried the technique in an attempt to run down wild horses, but they failed. Here is what he wrote:

[On a hunting expedition we] found some stray horses, or a horse, mare and a young colt; and though they had run in the woods all winter, they were in exceeding good order. There is plenty of grass here all winter under the snow, and horses accustomed to the woods can work it out.--These horses had run in the woods until they were very wild.

Tortileaugo one night concluded that we must run them down. I told him I thought we could not accomplish it. He said he had run down bears, buffaloes and elks: and in the great plains, with only a small snow on the ground, he had run down a deer; and he thought that in one whole day, he could tire, or run down any four footed animal except a wolf. I told him that though a deer was the swiftest animal to run a short distance, yet it would tire sooner than a horse. He said we would at all events try the experiment. He had heard the Wiandots say, that I could run well, and he would see whether I could or not. I told him that I never had run all day, and of course was not accustomed to that way of running. I never had run with the Wiandots more than seven or eight miles at one time. He said that was nothing, we must either catch these horses or run all day.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.vagabondish.com/running-cultures/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.