Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Noticing more whitetail roadkill?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Noticing more whitetail roadkill?

I have always noticed a lot more whitetail roadkill in the fall. Makes sense since it coincides with the rut. Usually roadkill is very few and far between once into winter, until the fall arrives again.

But over the past week, I have seen at least 5 dead deer on the side of road within my travel routes. I have never noticed this before. What's the deal? Does it have to do with does giving or about to give birth? I would think that would have happened last month, but the rut was weird this past fall. I was never sure WHEN it actually happened.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I have here in western NJ
Old 06-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does are starting to drop fawns. They are chasing last year's buck fawns (this years' spikes) out of their areas. So now you have young deer, out on their own in unfamiliar territory. They get hit by vehicles and get into trouble.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same here in Southern IN. I am seeing quite a few does dead as well,even saw a fawn that was hit trying to cross a wide spot on I-64 west. Been seeing quite a few Coyotes as well,I think they are after the fawns and getting hit as well.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

I have a 56 mile each way commute to work for the past 8 years. So I log a lot of highway time with farm land on both sides. It seems to be a consistent flow of dead deer with the exception of winter time and early spring. I made a note to check on my way home last night and saw 6. Late Spring and Fall seem to be the worse but now I will probably start to take better note of when I see more.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Spike

Out here the grass in the bar ditches is the last green available. Rain fall or lack of, seems to be the biggest factor. Naturally in winter and fall more roadkill.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Spike

I hate to say it, but here in Mississippi it seems that the hunting population is slimming down each year. Top it off with urban developement, deer management seems to go out the window. It's not very scientific but is a major factor. Please take them young folks hunting and fishing so we can keep our way of living strong. God Bless and be safe out there....
Old 06-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Does are starting to drop fawns. They are chasing last year's buck fawns (this years' spikes) out of their areas. So now you have young deer, out on their own in unfamiliar territory. They get hit by vehicles and get into trouble.
Does are starting to drop fawns, however they are not yet chasing spikes out of their area. That will occur when they get in to the pre rut. This ensures that momma doesn't get bred by her own offspring.

The movement now is to birthing grounds and to food sources. As they drop fawns you will see an increased movement as they need to produce milk and will need almost double their normal intake to keep up with the demand of keeping mom nourished and producing milk for baby. This is a great time of year to spray your ornamentals with deer repellent if you have deer issues like we do here in Connecticut.

Bucks will be feeding heavy now too, as they try to build antlers. It's a busy time of year in the whitetailworld!

You will also see an increase of beavers, porcupines and raccoons this time of year.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Doe's have been having their Fawns here in my area of Missouri since the end of May and now in to June,I had pictures of a newborn Fawn on May 30 and just this past week got another picture of a Doe with Twin Fawns.The Does will leave their Fawns to go out and get food and water then return to take care of them,it doesn't take very long and they will have them up and following them where ever they go and thats when You see a lot of Deer getting killed along the road ways...and a lot of Fawns end up getting killed when all the Farmers start cutting hay...its a sad truth but a lot of young Fawns get killed this way and the Predators will also be watching and hunting for an easy meal.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Spike

I too have noticed a lot or hit deer on the interstate. I figured it had something to do with them just birthing. I guess the farmers are running over them and chasing them out of the thick stuff as well.