Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

KEYS to successful, and enjoyable, HUNTING

Old 04-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default KEYS to successful, and enjoyable, HUNTING

This goes for any animal, even fish.

After 48 years of hunting and 20 years of guiding, one of my axioms about hunting is -

"To best way to gat an an il to come to you is to 1. be in a spot it is used to, 2. it feels comfortable in 3. and it is going to anyhow.

Then ambuch them when they walk by.

In other words - spend enough time scouitng and obwerving to know the travel routes of the animals you hunt (called patterning), and get to where they are going - before they get there.

Another axiom of mine is is -

"If it is too hot, too cold, too windy, too wet, the light conditins aren't right, or there are too may predators or too much hunting pressure - the animals aren't going to do what they normally do.

Figure out where they are going to hold up and go there, hunt an entirely different area - or stay home.

Personally I'm going to figure out were they hold up, and sneak into theri resting area to hunt them. I'm certainly not going to stay home.

Some hunters know very little about the biology and behavior of the animals, so they do not know what the animals like to eat, where they like to rest, or what weather conditions they will and won't move in.

READ some books that teach you about the biology and behvior of the animals, so you know what they are most likely to do on any given day. There are some great books on game animal biology and behavior, and hunting techniques out there.

Many hunters do not spend enough time observing and patterning animals - to know where they normally bed and feed, and the travel routes they use between those two areas. Spend enough time scouting and observng the animals to be able to predict where they normally travel, where they rest, and where they are likely to eat.

Killing the animal is only the culmination of the hunt. The fun, and the challenge, is in figuring the animals habits, figurng out where they are on ny given day, and then outsmarting them.

Give it a try - scouting is a lot of fun. Reading is enlightening

I wihd you all hd the chnce to spend as uch time observing and huntg animls as I have, with 48 years hunting under my belt, dn over 12 years of researching whitetails, elk, turkey , duchs gees and black b ears, - it haa been a blast

And with the new research I am doing on You seeWildlife.com, on their 24 bour per day live action,, infra-red (nighttime capable), full audio, 360 degree rotatring, gazillion power zoom cameras, observing and learing more about whitetails, turekys, black bears, baldk and golden eagels, trumpter swans an rattle snakes, I"ve got a lot more years of enjoying wildlife. And it is all FREE for anyone who wants to join me in my research projecst down there. Just log on.

Yesterday I watched two hen turkeys get bred, last week wwee sw our firs black b ear boar come out of his den, last year we watched a lot of buck fights, and bears breed, even coyotes killing a deer.

I'm still learning... because I'm still researching.

May Yahweh-God bless all of you, and your families and friends,

T.R.