Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Optimal Hunting time - Moon Dependent

Old 03-23-2011, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Whackadeer
Sorry to be so dumb, but what is this overhead underfoot thing. I really don't understand the underfoot part for sure.
Overhead and underfoot are basically when the moon is perpendicular to the surface at the point where you are located. Overhead is when the moon is directly above you at the highest point in the sky (whether middle of the day or at night). When it is underfoot the moon is antipodal (opposite) side of the earth, but directly below you, so it would be directly "overhead" in the Indian Ocean while it was "underfoot" for you.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Vinny_HC
Has anyone heard that during a quarter moon, deer tend to move later in the morning and earlier in the evening than a new moon for example?
I have heard that, but since I'm out there anyway I really haven't paid it much attention. And JagMan. I wouldn't be so sure about doing the honey do list on windy days, I have seen some of my biggest bucks on days you had to use to straps to keep yourself in the tree, just wasn't in the right tree.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Vinny_HC
Overhead and underfoot are basically when the moon is perpendicular to the surface at the point where you are located. Overhead is when the moon is directly above you at the highest point in the sky (whether middle of the day or at night). When it is underfoot the moon is antipodal (opposite) side of the earth, but directly below you, so it would be directly "overhead" in the Indian Ocean while it was "underfoot" for you.
Won't affect me since I don't hunt the indian Ocean. lol
Old 03-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

PY, I killed one of my best bucks when it was windy enough to make you sea sick in the stand! But, that was after a strong front and heavy rain pushed through. Plus it was during the peak of the rut, the 'ol boy was just refreshing his scrapes!
I have learned though that at some of these times, like hot, humid, blustry days, the odds are just not in your favor because the deer just don't tend to move much in these conditions. Most of the time though, I'm stubborn enough to hunt anyway!