Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Gun Safe ???

Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default New Gun Safe ???

Not sure where to ask ??
I,m looking at upgrading my old wooden / glass gun cabinet to a nice gun safe .
Any good recomendations ?
I,m thinking around $600 or so max .
I want one big enough for aound 10 rifles / shotguns / ML. and pistols .... I figure around 15 to 20 gun capasity ?
I dont want one of the light duty cabinets . I want the nicer H D safes ..
Thanks for any info . and sorry if I,m in the wrong forum ...
Old 02-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I picked up a Winchester at Wal Mart a few years ago, I think it is a 12 gun safe. I wish it was bigger, you would have to cram to get 12 single shot gun in there, much less scopes, ,etc. It was after season and the price had dropped from $750 to $229 and I grabbed one, wish I had two. If you have a safety deposit box you claim on your income tax you can drop it and write off the safe, at least I did. I keep all my paper work, deeds, insurance, titles, etc in there.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Liberty at Gander

Forgot to mention .
Got a Gander Mountain flyer in the mail.
They have a Liberty 22 gun safe on sale .$550.00
59x28x20 22 guns ?
weighs 440 lbs and 30 minute fire rating .
was $700.00
Doesent sound to bad ?
Also herd Sams Club has deals now and then ???
Old 02-11-2011, 05:28 AM
Spike

Default Bighorn

I've been researching about gun safes quite a bit lately. The best protection for the money that I have found are the Bighorn gun safes. I've seen these first hand and they seem to be well made.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Just remember if you buy small you will always need more space. When I bought the biggest safe made my wife said "that is way to big" LOL. She now uses almost 1/2 of the space. Think bigger. Jim
Old 02-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

look online, craigslist....somethin used....safes dont go bad, unless they burn..so a used safe is as good as a new one.
i found my 40 gun safe fer $400, from a guy who was desperate. I went to bass pro and found it fer $1000+
Old 02-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

another thing you might think about if you have the time and space is to build a dedicated gun closet....u can usually do it for less than the cost of a safe, you can make it fireproof and you never run out of room.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Just remember if you buy small you will always need more space. When I bought the biggest safe made my wife said "that is way to big" LOL. She now uses almost 1/2 of the space. Think bigger. Jim
I second this. Figure out the maximum that you think you'll ever need, and then add space for 50% more guns... i.e. if you think you'll need a 20 gun safe, get one that'll hold 30...

After a break in in which my guns were stolen (I had one of those cheapo sliding-glass-door safes), I decided to get a "real" safe. I figured I'd probably never need more than 10 or 12 different long-arms, so I bought a safe with slots for 16 guns. It is now packed to overflowing, and if I buy any more guns, I'm going to need to also buy another safe...
Old 02-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Look for used. Craigslist, newspaper, local classifieds, estate sales. WHen I finally have the place to put a big safe, I plan on looking used.
-Jake
Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you buy a used safe make dang sure you pay to have a new tumbler installed with a new combination.

Buy a safe twice as big as what you need right now. You will fill it up.

Before you buy read the warranty. Know how they will cover your safe and belongings should a fire or break in happen. Not all warranties are the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.