Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Fever - On just about everything...

Old 07-25-2003, 04:38 PM

Default RE: Buck Fever - On just about everything...

Ok, first things first, lets get this out of the way - It is no longer the " pain" that a few of you have mentioned. When I shoot the rifle, the shotgun, the pistol, I no longer feel it. But, due to my past experiances I anticipate that pain that I once felt. Like CORD, I get a type of " Buck Fever" but I dont think our problems are one-in-the-same. With him, its the anticipation of the shot, worrying about whether or not he will mess up, ruin the hunt, wound the deer, ect... With me, its like a bad reacurring dream. Something like a dog that was beaten as a puppy... That dog was used to being beaten (I was used to the gun hurting me), everytime someone raises thier arm, the puppy flinches, expecting the blow to come shortly after the arm is raised (I expect the gun to hurt me because thats what it USED to do).

Now the second thing, Timbercruiser - my father isnt the dimwitted airhead you make him out to be. He too had his shotgun out there and was shooting as well. Since I was shooting the 2 3/4" shells so well, I saw his and became interested, he asked if I would like to shoot one, and I eagerly agreed. The 30-06 might not have been a bad gun if I had not shot one right after the other... If I had taken the time to stop for a second, then shoot, then stop, ect... It wouldnt have been so bad. I dont blame my father at all for my problem as it could have been caused by just about anything. So, I will ask you to please refrain from insulting my family members. THANKS.

I appreciate all the advice everyone has posted, I' m sure that with a little work, I should have the problem under control come deer season.

Thanks again ,
Daniel
Old 07-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Washington Hunter, I went back and reread your initial post a couple of times, and then reread my post based on your first post and I don' t see anything I would change in my post. I don' t think I insulted or called your father a dimwitted airhead. I ask the question " Where is this guy' s head" , meaning why was he letting a 10 year old kid shoot the type of loads you described. You are the one having problems to this day from having a horrible experience in the early days of gun shooting. I guarantee that I would never have one of my 10 year old grandsons shooting guns that could hamper their future hunting.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

its the socks wash its the socks that cause all your problems[8D]
Old 07-25-2003, 08:06 PM

LMAO... Could be... It could be...
Old 07-26-2003, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Washington Hunter do you have a place to practice at?
Old 07-26-2003, 12:55 PM

We do, where I live its not a far drive to get to the desert... Its all just Pine Trees and Sage Brush as far as the eye can see, really nice actually
Old 07-26-2003, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

After reading some of your replies it sounds as though your only real issue is the " fear" of the pain, even though you know it is not going to hurt anymore. I think the suggestion given earlier of " shooting your way through it may be a good one, expensive but good.

Not sure which way to go with it though, possibly run a bunch of rounds through a 22 first and then work your way up.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:09 AM

only time and shooting a gun that doesn' t hurt is the only thing that will help.
shoot ; shoot ; and shoot some more.thing about you problem when you shoot and thing about that is doesn' t hurt any more.like with the puppy you mentioned,pet and praise is what gets him through it.after he gets older he will know that a hand is for prase and petting ; not hurting.
Sounds like you know the problem,and how to fix it.so it is all on you to get over the problem,with shooting and as you are doing now ; (talking about the problem).

Good luck in solving it.[:-][:-]
Old 07-28-2003, 09:22 AM

Lots of good advise posted. Think through the shot, Taz gave some good tips and it will help you alot.

Don' t over do it at the range, sometimes less is more!
Old 07-28-2003, 02:27 PM

why don' t you use a .243 I was shooting a 12 gauge 31/2 inch mags @ 12 and a 270 I suggest you use kick absorbers or like i sad a 243 doesnt kick if you want more power use a 308