Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

last years scents

Old 07-24-2003, 12:17 PM

Default last years scents

for those of you that use scents (tarsal, estrus, pee, etc.) ...do you continue to use the same bottle of scent from the year before if it' s not all used up or do you buy new bottles of scent each year?
Old 07-24-2003, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: last years scents

From what I' ve heard....get rid of old scents. If used they can acually spook a deer away. I' ve also heard synthetic scents work year after year. Not sure if it' s true or not.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:28 PM

How can you be 100% sure a scent is still fresh?...it' s possible that stores could have these scents on shelves for a long time, and as a result will not work well either.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

Go with the scents that have a date on them. Most scent companies are starting to put " use by" date on the urines and soem other scents
Old 07-24-2003, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was told by 2 seperate scent companies, that scents can be stored over the off season...if and only if they are sealed and frozen immediately. They then must be used up quickly once thawed, one company said a month while the other said a week or 2. They mentioned if left at room temperature they are no good. I emailed several companies last fall but those were the only 2 that cared to return my call or email. Also Big Valley scent company sends out a pamphlet that insructs the same when long term storage is desired of opened scents.

This is not my opinion only what the manufacturer' s suggest. For S&G' s I froze a couple of scent companys opened scents from last fall. I sealed the cap with wax, placed in an air tight bag(1 used a vaccum sealer & 1 an ordinary freezer ziploc ) and right to the freezer. I plan to take them out this fall and maybe try them. Be assured if I plan on using scent I will be toting a fresh bottle as well. You could say I have my doubts and am spectical[]!

The best way and maybe only way is buy new and stuff that is somewhat fresh or go with a sythentic scent that doesn' t have a shelf life persay. Finding sythentic scents here is impossible, thus why I asked about freezing or storage. I think if our stores continue to only stock real scents I will be going back to the sure way...no scent is best!

BTW, I asked how they could ensure fresh when they may sit on the shelf or at a distrubitors site...they indicated that air breaksdown the quality of scent of those who responded. They should all be sealed and with wax to ensure they remain air free, as many know not all companys do such a ritual. So what is the real story behind scents and the companies that manufacturer them....hey who knows!!!! Maybe that is why I got little response they never had an answer!!![:' (]
Old 07-24-2003, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve never had a problem with last years scents I just refrigerate it. I believe if it is frozen the ingriediants will sepperate . However I get my scents in an amber flask not the little plastic squirt bottles . www.bobkirschnerdeerlure.com
Old 07-29-2003, 06:46 AM
Dominant Buck

TR has a thread about this over at his forum . Most commercially produced scents are already old before they hit the shelf , and are starting to give off ammonia . I stick with the newest scent I can find in dated bottles . Whenever possible I go with scent certified to be from a single animal regardless of sex , multiple donor scent seems to make them spook more easily .
Old 07-29-2003, 11:19 PM

I have a question for you guys on that subject....I bought a tube of Kellers doe-in-heat gel.....This bottle has never been opened, never even been took out of the pack for that matter. I have been hunting with scents my entire life, but have never had this happen. Do you think it is still usable. A liquid I would toss, but I' ve never used the gel. Does anyone think I could still use it????