Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Many Deer a Season?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

I normally shoot up to 3 deer (normally 1 buck and 2 doe) per year but this year was a down year. I shot a nice 10 point with a bow and for the first time in 15 years I never fired a shot with my gun. I was very selective during the firearms season as the buck to doe ratio in the areas I hunt appeared to be heavy on to the buck side. While it was a fun season watching deer and monitoring trail cams next year stands to be another banner year of bucks and does in the areas I hunt. I can hardly wait.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Usually I kill 3 to 4 a year between here and ky but this year only 1 so far
Old 12-30-2010, 02:21 AM
Spike

Here in MD, we're allowed 10 does and 2 bucks for each season of bow, ML, and firearm. For each season, we have to kill a second doe before a second buck. Last season, I killed 9 and gave away one and still have plenty in the freezer. So, needless to say, I haven't been out this year.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default As many as we can use (Or get) whichever comes first.

About 3 – 6 per year.
Here in central VA most areas are buck hunted to death by people who will shoot past 6 does to take a spike on a day when a doe is legal. I know this kicks off arguments but my opinion is that's just stupid. There are so many deer in VA that in a lot of areas, VDGIF has introduced Coyotes to cut them down! I have a problem with that too but that's another subject.

I hunt 10 acres of my own land bordered by some great deer land and my little slice of haven is right in the middle. I try (Some would say futilely) to manage it my way. I watch the deer on the trail cams year round to judge the overall condition of the heard roaming through. It's a little different every year.

This year what I saw was a lot of Does. We had 20 plus different ones, several spikes, 4 pointers and a couple 6’s. We’re talking about a patch of land that is about 200 acres total with housing in about half of it. As summer wore on the condition of the animal’s worsened. Many were boney and still others had hair falling out! The land could not support them.

On my land we won’t take anything less than a 6 pt for bucks. Although just about every year someone shoots a button thinking it is a doe. (This year it was me…again) We have extremely liberal limits that include 3 bucks per person and as many does as you want. You get 4 on your tag and can buy as many bonus antlerless tags as you can afford.

This year, my first deer was a nice 8 during bow season that we had not seen on the trail cams. I set my bar to that minimum for rest of the season other than one really big 6 we had been watching casing does. He is about 200# and about 19” wide. Long story short, 3 of us hunt this property. We have each taken 2 deer and have a couple days left in the season. The count is 8pt, 6pt, doe, button, doe, doe.

Also, we prefer young does for obvious meat reasons , 100# or less. We normally pass on all does in the early seasons to keep big bucks interested and keep things as calm as possible until December and then the gloves come off to fill up the freezer. We share a lot with others who don’t hunt too! We try to use as much of the animals as possible and only usually leave the bibs for the foxes.

So does all that trying to manage work? I don’t know for sure but we have shot or seen big trophy bucks every year since we started doing it. I know that others are cashing in on some of this in surrounding woods but that’s ok. I also know that they are not helping by killing some of the spikes and 4 pointers that we let walk. Some would say if we don’t kill them someone else will. Maybe but all I know for sure is if I let him go, he lived that time. If I kill him he really has no chance. Most of those other guys will only kill one or two and their freezer is full and they are home watching football for the rest of the season.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Usually 3 - 6, between MA, NY, & CT...
Old 12-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Spike

Here in Arkansas, we are allowed two bucks and two does. I usually kill a couple of does and one buck. We have a 4 points on one side rule in our hunting club, so we let the little bucks grow.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

We can shoot 2 per day in parts of S.C. Aug 15-Jan 1st.
I got 2 bucks and 2 does this year, 5 last year, 7 the year before.
My hunting partner shot 13 so far this year, 19 last year.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

if im lucky ill get one a year. ive hunted years and never got a shot at one. this must be my lucky year though i actually shot two. lol
Old 12-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by freedomrules3
Actually depends on how many of my friends need some venison , 4 does and 1 buck so far this year. We have very leniant rules here with 30 does and 6 bucks allowed and no daily bag limit.

What state do you live in. I'm guessing Penn.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:50 AM
Spike

30 does and 6 bucks is the total seasons' limit here in MD. Although the deer are thick, I've never heard of anyone getting the full limit. I guess if one had nothing else to do, no family to tend to, hunted from sun-up to sun-down, and did it every day of each season......it's possible with enough land.

Last edited by marshyhope; 01-01-2011 at 03:55 AM.