Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do?

Old 12-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

i would talk to neighbors,
let them know you have dogs running amuck on your land,
you just want to know if its their dogs, because your considering taking them out,
dont do it in an aggressive manner, where your accusing them
but do it in a courtious manner, asking them if its their's, and that your trying to determine if they're someones pets or wild.

chances are, they wont tell you if its theirs, and will get pissed when dogs dont return,
but at least you tried to do the right thing
Old 12-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Terasec
Tough call,
is this private land? or public?
if these are domestic dogs, not sure of laws for running dogs ,
believe most places owners are supposed to be within a certain distance,
if these are wild dogs they would be open game like any other predator hunting,

if it was a 1 time thing i would let them go,
if its a recurring problem on private land i would take them out,
if its on public, i would do my best to determine wild or domestic,
if domestic and owners are legal would try to find them and work with them,
if owners are running dogs illegallly, would try even harder to let game wardens know of illegal dog running,
wouldn't take out owners illegal activities out on the dogs
Good advise!! it is hard to break a dog that has started to run deer, when we were young and had a dog take to deer we would put it down, (we didn't have time to re-train them) it sounds cruel but I would still do it. a word of advise, if you have exhausted all other efforts and have to resort to a permeate solution, I would keep it to myself, jmop Doc
Old 12-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DocD
Good advise!! it is hard to break a dog that has started to run deer, when we were young and had a dog take to deer we would put it down, (we didn't have time to re-train them) it sounds cruel but I would still do it. a word of advise, if you have exhausted all other efforts and have to resort to a permeate solution, I would keep it to myself, jmop Doc
If I did end up doing it... my dad would be the only one to find out.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

i could never kill a dog. set up some snares and what not. put out some food with some meds that will know it out so you can capture it
Old 12-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
i could never kill a dog. set up some snares and what not. put out some food with some meds that will know it out so you can capture it
I hear ya, I like dogs also, but letting them "pack-up" and chase deer you are not doing them any favors, we had an incident a few years ago where a pack attached a young women and her child. I haven't looked in awhile but I think some state dnr rules allow for dispatching these dogs. as I said I like dogs and take care of mine, there are too many people who don't. JMOP Doc
Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Spike

This might sound harsh but....

It is the dog owners responsiblity to keep their dogs on their land. If you are dealing an irresponible dog owner you might be dealing with this for a long time.

If those dogs were threating livestock they can be shot on the spot.

If they keep showing up I would go with SSS. Shoot, shovel, shutup.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

Typical for the area... I got the same problem too. I did shoot one 2 years ago because it thought I was a deer but my 45 changed it's mind... I usually just cuss and move on though
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

I have an intermittant problem with people dumping out their hunting dogs on the posted property next to me trying to run the deer there to thier property behind us both. Has happend several times. THe owner has spoke to them, and they keep doind it. THe beagals have tracking collars on them and the owner knows full well what he is doing. Also just the other day we had two dogs run to our property from an adjacent one less than a mile away. I caught one to find the name and number on the collar indicating these dogs were from there and let him go on his way. If it is just dogs doing what they do, Even if I don't like them running my land I'll leave them be. Dog hunting is legal and accepted here. If it is the other example, someone eventually will need some new dogs and new collars. Wild dogs (Dogs with no collars running game must be wild right?) Take them out. THey will become a problem.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

I'm glad to see various opinons on the topic :]
Old 12-30-2010, 08:16 AM
bigcountry

The good ole shoot dogs thread.

I don't shoot dogs or any pets. Even when farm animals like neighbors alpacas get loose.

People are funny about thier pets. Some would shoot you over thier pooches. Its not worth the risk. Sure people should be responsible, but crap happens.

Many more honorable ways to handle the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.