Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sleeping in your stand!

Old 07-20-2003, 09:26 PM

Default Sleeping in your stand!

Man! I cant keep my damn eyes open when I' m sitting in the woods. It' s not because I' m bored, I love hunting, It' s just that i' m sooooo relaxed. It' s not at the peak times ( dusk and dawn ) I' m to excited at those times, It' s on and off the rest of the day. I dont like to drink coffee while i' m hunting( I' ll give you one guess why ) Does this happen to any of you? What can I do! What do you guys do to stay awake? Thank' s for your help
Old 07-20-2003, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sleeping in your stand!

I usually snort a few lines during my hunt, helps keep me alert.
No not really---just a joke[&:]
If I get tired, I just take a cat nap, but like you I never nap at peak times.
Sometimes in the mid-day, I get tired and actually try to take a nap but
I cant, guess Im just too x-cited.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes this happens to me also. i need to stay awake because i am sure i miss deer that walk by.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

i always sleep while hunting.....its part of hunting to me....even squirrel hunting ill take a nap....hunting is a chance to get away from work...school.....parents.......life period....im too relaxed....bagging game isnt my priority....its to have fun and be safe and have a good time and relax...it seems somehting wakes me up when game is coming though...my dad fell asleep while we were turkey hunting...we were both calling and the bird came in behind us..i heard a few sticks breaking and knew not to turn around...they were real spooky and silent that year....i knew what was there.....dad was 50yds behind to the left and i hear him scream like a girl.....he fell asleep and woke up to see a longbeard looking at him from about a yard away..any closer the bird would walked on his legs no lie....he got enough of a look to see it had a nice long beard and get his gun up and click the saftey of but it was flying by that time.....he let him go....no sense in wounding him.....i shot my first buck right before i fell asleep....i shut my eyes and was getting some sun finally after sitting in the freezing snow all morning and i was just relaxing listening to the war around us and i was like ahhhh i better take a gander before i nap....there he was....i still sleep in the woods
Old 07-21-2003, 12:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the secret to staying awake in the woods, is getting plenty of sleep the night before the hunt. This is a very hard thing for me to do.

This last year, I finally shot one of the 4 1/2 year old piney wood ghost bucks. I shot him on the third day of the season. It was by far the best buck I had ever taken. I was on cloud nine all season long after taking him, and it kept me awake throughout the rest of the season. Most other years, It seems like I mostly attract does and younger bucks who are curious to see what is making the snoring sound.
I have waken up more than once to see a doe looking right at me.

C. Davis
Old 07-21-2003, 03:37 AM

I usually catch a little catnap before daylight. Especially since I bought my treelounge. I actually spent the night in that thing once.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Get a good night' s sleep the night before , and practice getting up at the time you would for the season several weeks in advance . If you can' t get to sleep the night before opening day go to a drugstore or even a dollar store and look for a product called melatonin . You' ll find it where they keep the vitamins and other supplements . This is a synthetic version of a hormone your body produces that regulates it' s internal clock and sleep cycles . The correct dosage is 200-300 micrograms . DON' T TAKE IT WHILE IN YOUR TREESTAND !! You will take a nap , and possibly a fall , if you do . It won' t make you drowsy the next day if you get to bed early .
Old 07-21-2003, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey benhuntin ,
I was thinking of investing in a Treelounge , could you e-mail me with your impression of it so far ? Thanks !
Old 07-21-2003, 07:50 AM

i sleep often in my old man vision.many times i am in my stand 8-9 hours when i stay all day with a day pack.i make sure that my safety harness has little slack between me and my tree.plus,the design of my stand is almost like a craddle.i don' t recommend this to anyone,but sometimes the conditions just keep it from being prevented when the noon sun takes over after a couple of sandwiches.i have awakened myself many times due to snoring.and NO i have not fallen from my stand and YES i have taken many deer by staying all day .
Old 07-21-2003, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

I take little cat naps in my stand from time to time. I make sure my safety belt is snug and either lean forward with my head on my knees or lean back against the tree.
I don' t have a problem during peak times but during the midday lulls I have trouble staying awake.
I don' t sleep really deep, just kind of doze off. I can still hear animals coming.

Quick Reply: Sleeping in your stand!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.