Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New hunter

Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Spike

Default New hunter

hey guys and gals. just about to complete my hunter safety course today. never been hunting before but im not new to guns. just had a few questions about deer hunting with a shotgun. What would be the best shot for it? il be hunting in a place that is about 100yrds shooting range at the longest. i know that i shouldnt go for a deer that far away with a shotgun. but i just feel it would be safer hunting here with my 12 ga. vs taking a rifle out there. i welcome all info that anyone can give me.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Spike

If you have a rifled barrel for your shot gun try some sabots.If not use some rifled slugs. If you are wanting to use shot, and it is legal in your state try some 00 buck.

Last edited by BuckI380; 12-11-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BuckI380
If you have a rifled barrel for your shot gun try some sabots.If not use some rifled slugs. If you are wanting to shot, and it is legal in your try some 00 buck.
agreed, if ya got a slug barrel then a slug will reach out and touch em at 100 yrds easy, but id say 00 buck shot would be the best or even the rifled slug but ether would work.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I have an 870 Remington 12 guage magnum express that will consistently put slugs in a 3 inch group at 100yds..If you get a 12 guage 870 Remington you can screw different chokes in at the end of the barrell..If you go this route..screw in the Improved Cylinder choke..I also purchased the Gobble Dot sites which I used for turkey season..They are 59.00 snd cn be bought at Cabelas..they simply screw on your ventilated rib ..top of the barrell..this will help you hit your 100 yd target.I love this all purpose shotgun. You can purchase this gun and the slugs at most Walmarts..I use the cheap ole Winchester 2 3/4 inch slugs at Walmart..they shoot great for me. I don't beleive the extra chokes come with the shotgun..I bought them for about 15.00 each at Walmart.The turkey choke was about 30 dollars.NEVER shoot a slug out of a turkey shoot. If you decide to shoot slugs from the original smooth barrell from the Improved Cylinder screw in choke ..you must shoot RIFLED SLUGS..

Some tips ...I have 3 sons. I was raised on hunting. My sons were not as I raised them in the city. They have no fear and ....that scares me when it comes to hunting..because in hunting you need to be prepared and KNOW your equipment,,I have 3 sons and here are a few things that drive a dad uneasy

A. If you plan to use a climber..ALWAYS wear a harness and KNOW how to put that climber together ..in the dark with a headlamp..I still watch my sons until he is safely in the tree..In hunting .you don't get a 2nd chance in a lot of situations

B. Know your firearm..don't chamber a round until you are seated in your stand and take the round out of the chamber when lowering firearm.

C. Carry a compass

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-10-2010 at 11:21 PM.