Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

BLAZE ORANGE

Old 07-18-2003, 07:41 AM

Default RE: BLAZE ORANGE

IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO WEAR ORANGE DURING ANY SEASON (YES, THAT INCLUDES BOW SEASON) YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO WHINE ABOUT PEOPLE INTERRUPTING YOUR HUNT OR INVADING YOUR AREA.

Dave
Old 07-18-2003, 08:02 AM

There is a bill that' s currently awaiting Gov. Pataki' s signature in NY, mandating both a blaze orange hat and 500 square inches of blaze to be worn while hunting. The higher-ups in amongst his aides say that there' s no reason not to sign it.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have mixed feelings on this one. I think all rifle/ML hunters should have at least one article of clothing that is Blaze Orange. To me, it' s just common sense. Bow hunters on the other hand should be allowed to wear whatever they desire. I also do not think it should required by law. Let me make the decision and live (or die) by it. Here in NH, we are not required to wear Orange, but it is highly recommended by the F&G Dept, that hunters wear Orange, as well it should be!
Old 07-18-2003, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do not wear blaze orange while deer hunting in alberta and if my hunting is interfered with I have every right to have the offender prosecuted because I do my deer hunting in alberta on private land.Only myself ,a couple of friends and the owners have legal access and we know where each other is.In saskatchewan I am required to wear white,red,yellow or orange with a red,yellow or orange cap and I do so.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:43 AM

yes i would say it is needed
Old 07-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here you must wear a solid colour of white, red, yellow or blaze orange in any rifle/shotgun season(and head wear must be worn of either blaze, red or yellow). Only in bow & ML season can you wear camo, etc. I wear white solids and blaze orange hat during rifle. Since there is usually snow on the ground I have legal built in camo, but as far as hunter seeing me the only thing that will stick out is my hat! Now with any other legal colour here (other than blaze), as light is fading it doesn' t help to pick out a hunter. Yellow and red turns black. The white and blaze orange are actually better at these time IMO. I guess I am saying i am not sure if the colours worn really makes it much safer here but that is the way it has been for years and why change! I can honestly say I don' t feel anymore safe with colour vs. camo, accidents happen b/c people don' t take the time to think through the outcomes. They often happen b/c of poor judgement, excitment or what have you...this means regardless what colour your wearing if the guy is focused only on the deer between you and him, chances are he won' t see you. Tunnel vision of sorts. The real meat of the issue is people need to go back to safety courses, slow down and think about what they are doing. I really believe some don' t view a firearm or bow as lethal and a responsibility that must be respected. To me a deer is not worth mine or anyone elses life, but that is not the same for others. If you talk with hunters they all say safety is number one, but then they do some real stupid things in the heat of the moment. Stats here show that accidents most often happen by members of the same hunting party, which only proves my point. It is not guys who are out hunting themselves that shoot someone but rather that guys buddy or brother, who has forgot or lost sight of what he is doing in the excitement of trying to anchor his animal.

I really don' t mind wearing colours, it hasn' t impacted my success in any way. The key is to conceal yourself by using natural cover and backing is as important as the stuff you put on. But do I believe or feel I am more safe wearing a colour vs camo...nope. I just don' t trust others judgements when excitement clouds the issues at hand. As such I will not hunt in populated areas and hunt far away from the crowds. If I am hunting with a group we first set off in different directions, keep a good distance between each other, approx. know each others where abouts/respect this as well and the number one thing is all on the same page...SAFETY IS #1. If a guy/gal can' t abide by these rules, they don' t come. If they break a rule or we feel they are being unsafe they are asked to leave and will not be invited back. Respect for yourself/others, be defensive, think and remember to always be safe in all facits of your hunting endeavors. This includes safety harness when you sit in a tree!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 02:22 PM

Here in Louisiana we have to wear orange during gun season, but not in bow. In gun season we have to wear it to the stand but after we enter it we can take it off if you wish to. I hunt on leased land but I still wear it to and from my stand, the neat thing about hunting this land is we gather up each and every morning and talk about where we are going to hunt that morning, that way we all know where everyone is for saftey reasons. That way we also know where everyone is in case of emergencies.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:48 PM

I hunt in a pretty remote area, and here we need to have 50% above the waist and a hat, if worn, needs to be blaze. I wear a vest and a hat. If I were in certain parts of this state where the weekend warriors " hunt" I would look like a friggen pumpkin!! This is for rifle season....for bow >>> camo for sure!
Old 07-20-2003, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

i wear it when im going to my stand and when i get out i always take it off when i get in my stand i hunt in a box stand so it wouldnt matter if i took it off or left it on
Old 07-21-2003, 03:31 AM

I definatley believe its important especially on crowded public lands. I prefer the camo type blaze orange to break up my outline.

Quick Reply: BLAZE ORANGE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.