Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

BLAZE ORANGE

Old 07-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BLAZE ORANGE

i wouldnt rifle hunt without it.....accidents happen......i dont want someone making a mistake and sending a highpowerd rifle bullet in my direction......just makes sense to me....your going to see blaze orange as long as your not color blind.....and no deer(except peta deer they put orange vests on) are orange...id rather be safe and always able to hunt then be sorry and 6ft under wising i could go hunting......
Old 07-17-2003, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

In a perfect world there would be no reason to wear blaze orange but with the idiots in this world that shoot at movement it' s required. My opinion is that there is no such thing as an accidental shooting while hunting. Plain and simple, if you' re not 100% positive of your target and what' s behind it don' t shoot. It' s just one of the rules of gun safety. In the group of guys hunting in my club I would feel comfortable walking around without it. I' m fortunate to hunt with people like that. I do wear blaze for the reason other people have mentioned. We have had trespassers on our land and I don' t trust them. The other reason is I normally take my 8 year old son and I feel that it' s important to teach him safety and more important, to follow the rules.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just as every one said , blaze orange is a must. The only thing I would say is that I like my camo blaze orange coat. It blends in more with the background but is still seen for a long ways. With my solid color blaze orange fanny pack and hat added to my coat I’m well seen from all angles.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Alberta did away with the law requiring blaze orange several years ago.Contrary to all the naysayers complaining about increased shootings being a certainty this did not happen.The accidental shooting rate has not risen at all even though most people no longer wear blaze orange.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:59 PM

didnt read any responses.... orange is a saftey issue. ALWAY WEAR ORANGE! no deer is worth your saftey!
Old 07-18-2003, 05:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I' m against it being mandatory in most places. Contrary to popular belief, there isn' t any definitive evidence that it reduces accidents. It' s another typical kneejerk reaction by government to make things " safer" that in reality does nothing of the sort.
Boltman I know in Va. the number of hunters shot during gun season dropped drastically after blaze orange became law. There are stats to back it up, not only for Va., but many other states, unless you have 500 patroled acres that you know you are the only hunter on and you stay away from the borders of your 500 acres you are gambling by not wearing it. I wear it to and from my stand even during bow season because of the possibility of a small game hunter being out there and not seeing me.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:08 AM

As far as the " neon" affect, UV killer can be used, but if you don' t buy the cheap plastic stuff you don' t have to worry. Just check it with a blacklight before you go to the field. I have had deer standing all around me, some you could reach out and touch, while wearing head to toe blaze orange camo. The only cover I had was a rock I was leaning on and a soap weed.

Like I said previously - there are only 2 reasons for not wearing blaze orange, either to hide while tresspassing or to hide from game officials.

There is absoultly nothing wrong with being seen by people. It goes a long way in keeping other hunters out of your area as well. If they see you there they will respect that. If they see you there and crash in anyway you know you have a real jerk on your hands.

Dave
Old 07-18-2003, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

I second the blaze orange camo patterns, but I know there are some places that won' t allow that. On the other hand, I don' t think orange should ever be required in bow season. You would have to be just plain stupid to shoot someone with a bow at it' s effective range.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

All gun hunters should wear at least one article of clothing that is blaze orange. In the thick woods of Maine, 2 items are required. I would not hunt without it due to the dense woods.

Quick Reply: BLAZE ORANGE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.