Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Opinions on 2010 rut being the latest we may have ever seen

Old 11-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, your saying the deer directly 35 miles east of you rut a whole month and a half earlier? I'm not calling you a fibber, I'm just saying I'm not going to buy any stock in that either. I can't even fathom that happening. Let me ask you this. When do the fawns start hitting the ground in both areas?

So, I went and checked out a rutting calander for the state of Florida. Timber, what is in the water down there? There are different rut dates for just about every county. In south Florida the rut started as early as July. Some parts of the panhandle was in Dec. Next county west was in Jan. 2 counties west of the it was in Feb. I have no clue.

Last edited by 2 Lunger; 11-05-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

This years rutting moon (second full moon afer the autumn equinox) is Nov 21st. Almost three weeks later then last years. There will be breeding and chasing late Oct and early Nov but the most breeding and heavy rutting with occur during Thanksgiving week. Im getting my info from the October 2010 Deer and Deer hunting Magizine by the way. They are compairing this year to 1997 and 2005. If I remember right 2005 rifle season in WI was pretty good with a lot of buck sightings
Old 11-05-2010, 12:21 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Thunderchicken217
I have only really been paying attention to the moon and its effects on rut timing the last several years. We all know Charles Alsheimer and his predictions. Well here in MD he has been pretty much spot on the last 3 yrs that I have been observing his predictions. With the full or rutting moon being on Noember 21st this year it will be the latest for decades to come. I have also noticed very little rubbing and scraping activity in ares that have been fool proof for the last 20yrs for me. I can not do anything but assume the man is correct again predicting primetime may not be until Thanksgiving week or later. I was just interested in everyone elses personal opinions and what you may be experiencing this season.
Coming into this late, but I have to agree. From Carroll County to the Shore. I had off from Nov. 1 to the 14th, and I am back to work. Well see about next week.