Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Food Plot Business

Old 11-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Spike

Default Food Plot Business

Ive been thinking about starting a business in food plotting. I was curious about peoples feeling on it. Would you pay for a service such as this? I know a lot of hunters that say they just dont have time to make and maintain the food plots. I just wanna know if anyone thinks this is a good idea or a bust?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Spike

I think it's a great idea and I would be one of the people willing to pay for the service. I do not have access to the proper equipment (plows,tillers,brush hogs etc) and quite honestly I am agriculturally impaired.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Spike

Thanks CNY.. Its definitly nice to get positive feedback
Old 11-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Spike

I agree. People will want this done for them. I think the pricing will be key to how much business you get. Most don't realize how expensive equipment, seed, weed spray, fertilizer, and your time can be.
I wish you good luck in your endeavors!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Spike

All good points made so far! I also feel that this would be a good idea. Some type of before and after results with pictures and descriptions, to show what you can do would be a solid plan too
Old 11-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Spike

I think it would be a good idea but one thing you would have to think about is what happens if the area doesn't get much rain and the plots dont do very well. I know you cant control that but some people in my opinion would be mad to have paid for your services and have no plots come hunting season. You take that risk planting anything and i would understand but i could see that causing a problem with some people. If you do decide to do this i think that is something you should discuss with the person before planting to be on the safe side. But this wont be a problem if you have some means of irrigation.

Last edited by VaWhitetailHunter; 11-02-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

I guess it really depends on what part of the country your located in. I know around where I am at, everyone is able to do it themselves or knows someone that will come and do it for them. If I wasn't able to, yes it would depend on price.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've paid several times to have food plots planted. I have two plots, about an acre each, I have planted for close to 15 years. For the past few years the guy I was using charged $540 to disc up, plant with a grain drill, furnish Buck Forage Oat seed and fertilizer with me not having to do anything. This year I have about $465 with me doing a lot of the work. On second thought counting gas, eats and work I would have been better off just paying the $540 and getting some dang good plots also.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Sure, I know plenty of people that would want to pay to have it done. Personally though I enjoy it haha. Dunno if i'm alone in that? :P
Old 11-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Fork Horn

if i did not have access to a 4 wheeler disc and a drag i would pay. i enjoy straping a cooler to the front of the 4 wheeler full of beer and spending the day out there