Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hard to sit still with joint pain and muscle cramps

Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hard to sit still with joint pain and muscle cramps

I am only 32 but I have the aches and pains of a 72-year-old. Maybe not that bad, but I find it very, very difficult to sit perfectly still without my joints screaming at me. I'm sure some of you can relate. I am always having to rearrange my legs in some fashion or the pain becomes unbearable. I try the slow-as-molasses moves, but sometimes you've just got to get the bent knee straitened out ASAP. I try to have a good, thorough look around before moving, but of course deer are well-camouflaged.

I have thought about a ground blind, but I would feel weird sitting inside when I'm outside. Plus, they would be a pain to lug around if you wanted to still-hunt for awhile.

Maybe I should head out to California to pick up a prescription.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Spike

im only 16 and my back will start getting sore to the point to where i cant stand it, and them my butt will start getting sore and most of my pain just comes from sitting on un even ground so i found that if i have a cousion or a small chair it really helps

my pains start from my lower back down to my legs, well from the knee up
i have to constantly reposition my self

idk, i when and bought one of those fold out chairs like this
http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...4&merchID=4006

the only down side it it kind of takes away from the como factor sense you wont blend in as well but im more comfortable but if you could build like a perminante ground bline out of like logs and branches it might work out
Old 11-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. I sit on a seat cushion now, but maybe a chair like that would be better. But I sit in an office chair all day long that's probably a lot more comfortable than that, and I still am constantly repositioning my legs to ease the joint pain. Can't wait 'till I'm 50!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

I had this happen yesterday,I decided to hunt some public land and I sit up in a beaver dam in the middle of the creek talk about painful ankles was hurting and feet falling asleep.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Spike

ive had 2 back surgerys and need another but i wear a leaffy suit . that way when i do have to move (which is about every 20 min or so)it looks like a bush instead of a big blob .
Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang, son! You're probably a lot younger than I am!

I should probably get a climbing stand, but I hate those too, LOL.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suggest building more muscle around your joints.Change your diet and do this and you will see an improvement in a month.
There are lots of exercises you can do at home without the use heavy weights and stress on your joints.This will help keep your joints in place .
Old 11-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Spike

I feel your pain (no pun intended), I too have a difficult time sitting still for more than 30mins-1hour at a time. I'm 38. My pains are from injuries sustained from wrestling during HS and college; left hip subluxated, right shoulder dislocated 3 times, all of my fingers either broken or dislaocated, and even my right big toe dislocated. Every morning is like a bowl of "rice kristpy treats". Here's what I do (I hunt from a climber most of the time); upon reaching my stand (a 400 yrd walk), and before I start climbing, I do some basic stretching exercises (toe touches, deep knee bends, back arches, shoulder rotations, etc.). Yea, I know, if someone saw this they would swear they're watching a rednecks' "Monty Python" episode. Once I'm in my stand I start my watch (stopwatch) to time 1 hour. At the hour mark I look around, seeing nothing, I stand for 10-15mins, and repeat this cycle for up to 8 hours (my bowels haven't made it longer than this though). By stretching and setting a time limit I've greatly increased my ability to sit/endure my pains for a longer period of time.
My .02 and hope this helps.
littlekid
Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

You have probably already tried this but taking a muscle relaxer or two before heading to the woods might work pretty well...
Old 11-03-2010, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff - you are right...I have to admit that I am not in great shape. I have a hard time getting motivated to make the changes I need to, except when hunting season comes. Of course, then I'm too busy hunting to exercise, LOL! I usually get very good workouts through my hunts, though. Especially if I have to drag one of those bastards out a mile or so! I definitely think getting into a better routine will help with some of the joints, but my knees are shot, so I don't know how much improvement I'll find there.

littlekid - that is an EXCELLENT idea! It's kinda like when you're climbing a mountain and you pick a spot ahead of you that you have to get to before allowing yourself a breather. With a timer, I'd be able to see how much longer I need to endure the pain before (temporary, lol) relief is in sight. That will make it easier because currently, I just move when I feel I have to.

Maddog - I am not sure how good of a mix muscle relaxers and firearms are.