Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone have experience with deer with cutaneous fibromas?

Old 11-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone have experience with deer with cutaneous fibromas?

So recently several friends have reported seeing a couple of deer with what they called warts. After doing some more research we found it's actually called cutaneous fibromas. These things are huge, and around the side of a baseball just hanging off the deer. One we have seen a few times has had several of them, another only appeared to have one. I'm reading that this can be spread to other deer. What's the best way to handle this situation? Should we shoot the deer we see with the warts? Will the warts go away? Also, are the deer safe to eat? If not, are the other deer in the area safe to eat if no warts are visible?
Old 11-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

So I guess no one else has seen any deer with this?
Old 11-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Seen it years ago on a deer that was killed, guy ate it and appears to be normal.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:56 AM
CJ1
Spike

It is becoming very common in the area I hunt. Fish and Game says it will not effect the meat.