Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting in the rain

Old 11-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

I don't have a problem sitting in the rain, as y'all have said, that's why we buy rain gear. As a matter of fact, sitting in the rain and being there when it quits and clears up can be quite rewarding, especially if it's been raining a while, you can be there when they get up to go eat.

I am much more inclined to sit all day during gun season during the rain than I am with my bow. If it's raining to beat hell and I stick a nice deer it's really hard to go home and wait 3 hours before you start tracking it. As y'all know, the rain will wash away some or a lot of the blood. I don't want to do anything that will increase my chances of not finding a deer, God knows bowhunting is challenging enough! So during bow season when it's really cutting lose, I'm more inclined to do as Govt Mule said and sit in the barn and drink beer!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by lovethebigguns
I don't have a problem sitting in the rain, as y'all have said, that's why we buy rain gear. As a matter of fact, sitting in the rain and being there when it quits and clears up can be quite rewarding, especially if it's been raining a while, you can be there when they get up to go eat.

I am much more inclined to sit all day during gun season during the rain than I am with my bow. If it's raining to beat hell and I stick a nice deer it's really hard to go home and wait 3 hours before you start tracking it. As y'all know, the rain will wash away some or a lot of the blood. I don't want to do anything that will increase my chances of not finding a deer, God knows bowhunting is challenging enough! So during bow season when it's really cutting lose, I'm more inclined to do as Govt Mule said and sit in the barn and drink beer!
i take that into consideration when im bowhunting in the rain. if im gun hunting i would probably stick it out
Old 11-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Do yall sit in a stand in the light rain? Do deer move in light rain?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think this is a case of hunanizing deer. Just because we don't lke to hunt in heavy rain, we may think the same apllies to deer. They live it every day and cope with it much better than we do.

Understanding how deer react to different weather conditions, including rain, makes us better hunters. My deer hunting days are valuable to me and I hunt under all weather conditions. Whether it's in my treestand with my tree umbrella to keep my dry or still hunting in pouring rain, I love being there. I have seen/shot deer in weather that put most hunters back at camp playing cards or watching watching sports. That's OK, if that's your decision. No problemo, but I have never regtetted returning back to camp soaking wet without even seeing a deer.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

My best hunting outing ever (if based on number of deer seen) was last year in a downpour during November. Thankfully the wind wasn't bad, but the rain was quite relentless. As deer were coming out of everywhere they would briefly stop and shake their bodies like a dog does after swimming. They were drenched! I had never seen a deer do that before.

I must have seen 22 deer that day. Normally I see 5 to 8 in this particular area on any given hunt. Incredible!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Spike

I mostly shotgun here in Illinois so if it is raining during season (7days) it does not matter plan for it and deal with it time is limited.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm off tomorrow and it's supposed to rain all day. I think I'll just stay home and watch TV. Nah, I'd rather have a crack at a nice deer...preferably ol' mossy horns!

I have hunted in rain twice (haven't been hunting that long) and killed deer each time. That's what they make ponchos for!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Well It looks like it will be raining in the southern part of Virginia (Stafford and south) for sure but the wind is going to be out of the SSE changing to a South about Noon and that is a wind i really need to hunt this thicket I have been staying out of because that is the only wind that will blow my scent out of the woods. looks like I better dress to be dry.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

I wait all year for a 57 day season, of which, I hunt weekends and a couple of days, so maybe 18 days at the most. I don't care if it's pouring, snowing, windy, cold, whatever, I'm going out. I may not see anything, but if somethin walks by, I want to be there, especially during bow season cause I still haven't busted the cherry. During rainy days, I head to the swamp and find a nice place under a pine tree. They like to come out when it's slows down or stops, and they start to browse. I don't care if I'm wet, as long as my gin is dry.