Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Antler growth question

Old 10-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Spike

Default Antler growth question

All 3 of these deer are all from the same area near my house, just wandering whats the major difference in the antler growth on them.

I understand they are all young, but considering they come from same area and were all on the same cam, seems like they should be eating the same things.

Im not managing the deer in anyway, but would either of them be worth taking out to help the populations later growth?
Attached Thumbnails Antler growth question-sunp0074.jpg   Antler growth question-sunp0075.jpg   Antler growth question-sunp0009.jpg  
Old 10-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

i really believe they are too young to make that decision. No way to tell what they will turn out to be at that age
Old 10-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

shoot um you have to they have diese lol just kiddin how much land is it and how mnay people hunt it
Old 10-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Spike

Its actually in a rural area, with a few 1-200 acre tracks in between neighborhoods. The area they roam is probably a 7-800 acre area. To my knowledge the only hunting done on the area is illegal.

A lot of the property was bought up by investors to put developments through but has gotten put on hold due to the housing market downfall over the past few years. The other linking property is a city sewer line that runs about 15 miles out of the city to a waste water treatment plant.

Other than that its just old stomping grounds everyone around here grew up on riding atvs and such on.

lots of water available from creeks,ponds etc through out it as well

EDIT: Here is a map of the area, the red area has no homes at all, I put the yellow circle in there as a reference, its 119 acres according to our GIS Mapping.
Attached Thumbnails Antler growth question-deer-areas.jpg  

Last edited by Unlocked; 10-30-2010 at 06:16 PM.