Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Early a.m. harvest far from home, want to hunt all day. Spoilage?

Old 10-30-2010, 06:22 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

The tarp is a good idea. I went one step futher, maybe two. I arrowed my buck this year at dusk. waited 2 hours to recover it. By the time I had it back at the house and field dressed it was a bit late so I took a fanfold styrofoam insulation stack and opened it up. layered the bottom of the truck bed, put down 4 bags of ice on some black pastic, threw in the deer with two bags of ice in his chest, threw a couple more across his body and wrapped him up. then covered with some of the fanfold, and left it over night. The next morning I had planned on butchering it out at lunch time ( it was my work from home day).....but some stuff hit the fan at work and I couldn't get to it....so I threw another tarp on the truck, bungied it down and waited till the end of the work day.....then I took the deer to a processor. almost none of the ice had melted. I threw the ice , tarp and insulation in a pile in the truck and didn't take it out till after work the next day. Still had plenty of ice. Got my meat back today. Can't wait till breakfast.

So how was the hunt today?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the suggestions all. It's good to have variety so you can find what combo works best.

Originally Posted by dpv

So how was the hunt today?
Turns out I didn't need the advice after all. Next time though...
Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

I might be more worried about other people getting to it than i would be for the heat or the bugs. Are you on public land? Have a camper top for the truck?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BillBrasky
I might be more worried about other people getting to it than i would be for the heat or the bugs. Are you on public land? Have a camper top for the truck?
Private land. If I was on public, I'd have to go back to the car anyway to get the ice, etc, so I might as well drag the deer with me. I wish I had a truck, but actually the trunk of my car could act like an ice box.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I wish I had a truck, but actually the trunk of my car could act like an ice box.
Reminds me of a scene from Goodfellas, except this time it really will be a deer. They do sell large styrofoam coolers (over 30 gallons) if you're worried about blood getting in your trunk or if you have a dark car that will heat up faster as the day goes on. It may not be a bad investment. . .