Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Canned hunt (Dakota Outfitters)

Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

There is also a fine line. What if you have 10,000 acres, and it is low fence, but you manage it only for deer? Thousands of acres of food plots and/or feeders, and you are making mineral licks, etc.. Yes, the deer can come and go, but plenty of giant deer will be living on the property their entire lives just because of its size and how you are manipulating the land. Is that "real" hunting?

There is a grey area. Some "hunting" is easier than other kinds. If you want to, you can try to kill a deer using a self-made stone hatchet, sitting in an area of dense woods with no food and no trails. Then you can say people who hunt over fields with those new-fangled recurve bows are not "real" hunting.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Hunt the way you enjoy it and get satisfaction from it. I once had permission to hunt several hundred private acres, no fences. I could hold out for a better buck, and killed some good ones. The land sold, I now hunt public land, and have lowered my standards accordingly. I get just as tickled walking up to a basket-racked 6 pt. (or a doe) as I did any of those private land bucks. When I quit enjoying it, I will hang my bow up. I don't make enough money to hang with the hunters on T.V., and I'm OK with that.