Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Public vs Private Trophy

Old 09-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Trophy????

I'm not a trophy hunter at all, as I've posted here before, I'm usually tagged out before firearm season. With that said, I own 72 acres surrounded by farms in the section, I'm a little better than 3/4 wooded, with a small creek/drain near the rear, I'm a rectangle. In the back corner, state land comes into contact w/ me. It's a pretty big cedar swamp back in there. The biggest buck I've ever shot in my life, was a 122 inch typical 5 1/2 year old, he came right off state land and none of us have ever seen him before. Up here in Michigan, not a lot of Popes and Booners, and in our area mostly small baskets, then up to 110 inch. Was he a trophy? For the area probably. We consider shooting older deer trophies. I've shot quite a few "monster doe" that I'm quite proud of. Pounds! baby, POUNDS!

Last edited by tight360; 09-10-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelt it wrong.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

Pubic land differs from state to state so it really depends on where you live and how long you have lived there. Why how long you have lived there? The longer you live in an area the better you know it. Lived here over 20 yrs, I hunt both and it's all with in 5 miles of my house or closer. I know it like the back of my hand and can take trophy just as easily on either.
Live it up! Doug