Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer lure's Vs Cover scents

Old 09-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't cover a scent...If stronger scents covered a lesser scent then a deer would not be able to smell where a person or other deer walked across the ground hours before. If you stiff the ground where you stepped you will not be able to smell your track because the dirt, weeds, corn stalks and so on are very strong and your scent is very week. A deer can easily pick the scent up however. Just think how many odors are in the air yet a buck could niff out a hot doe even over all the other smells. Too many people want to campare the way a deer and human are able to smell and it's on a whole different level that we can't understand fully.

Weather conditions effect the sense of smell more than you would think. Just like a rabbit dog can smell the track of a rabbit better on some days and not too well on others. Deer will at time miss your scent because of weather conditions.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

i have had way to many deer down wind and way to close for me to believe that scent minimixing products do not work. your going to have to take that mess somewhere else.there is no way to completely fool a deers sense of smell but u can do things to put a little more in your own favor
Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have every right to continue to use and spend money on products - covering/hiding scents that have been proven scientifically not to work. Go for it.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by country_guy9734
i have had way to many deer down wind and way to close for me to believe that scent minimixing products do not work. your going to have to take that mess somewhere else.there is no way to completely fool a deers sense of smell but u can do things to put a little more in your own favor
This partly the reason I use deer urine, it may not fool the deer but I think it helps calm them down thinking another deer is/has been in the area.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fishtaconc
This partly the reason I use deer urine, it may not fool the deer but I think it helps calm them down thinking another deer is/has been in the area.
That is a perfect example of a scent that attracks or stimulates curiousity. It does not and cannot hide or cover another scent like that of a human or anything else. The deer will smell the human scent if present regardless of any others and will react according to how threatened it feels by it.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

i also train protection dogs and part of that is tracking. one thing that dogs use a lot is not always our scent but the scent of crushed vegetation. it is a strong smell. think of when you cut the grass how it smells. that how it smells to a deer when you step on even one plant on your way to the stand. its not natural. watch how deer walk, they do not go trudging through the woos trampling all the plants in their way, they are careful in their steps. another thing is even in a field a deers hooves are at least 15 times smaller than our huge huge hunting boots, so we are still making more scent that way then they are used to. I like to make a trail to my stand and i mean a long on. i take all the vegetation off the trail as well as the sticks and leaves. this also make me quieter going back to the stand. since ive started doing that, ive noticed tracks going up and down my trail, the deer use it. I used to use that scent away stuff, but i realized that may cover human scent, which I doubt, but it also has its own smell which does not smell the same as the woods. I think if you know where your deer are coming from and you use that and the wind to your advantage, you should have no problems. also i noticed the higher up you sit helps as well. it sort of tricks the deer into thinking you are a little further away with your smell, and when they get close they have a harder time smelling you especially with a good wind blowing your scent away. so my opinion, forget cover scents. and like those other guys said they can still smell you anyway. one thing i have always wanted to try is to hang something that has my scent on it really strong where I am hunting using bait. I would be curious to see if deer would start to ignore it as it would be part of their everyday life. when i lived in the mountains i noticed deer would literally come up and eat right out of the flower beds. it shows that they can learn that human scent is not always dangerous.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
You have every right to continue to use and spend money on products - covering/hiding scents that have been proven scientifically not to work. Go for it.
As you have every right to keep repeating yourself for no apparent reason.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

IMO I don't think you can cover a scent. If you fart and light a match it don't make the fart go away, it just smells like someone is burning a turd! IMHO!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
As you have every right to keep repeating yourself for no apparent reason.
Apparently some have a difficult time understanding the obvious and need to be told repeatedly before understanding. keep reading and maybe you will get it. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

Quick hunt tonight straight from work so I sprayed on a dab of tints acorn spray and found an oak tree. Im all for buck and doe lure during rut but think it hurts the cause early in the year but, I swear a fox squirell tracked me to the stand tonight and tried to come up.
I have already had too many deer blow me off with one whiff this year. If its out of place, they get cautious.
with that said, I hunt with scentlock clothes and use scent away soap and have put two nice deer in the dirt already this year from less than 20 yards.
If I could only catch one of those buggers and get him to talk I would let you guys know if that scent spray really works!
I would much prefer all my stands to be 30' in the air where scent isnt as big of a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.