Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does keeping their bucks away

Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Does keeping their bucks away

I read an article that said that when does give birth to bucks once they get older that does will keep that buck away to prevent in breeding, and the bucks will usually leave the area for good to find different does. It say you should kill a couple does to keep the bucks in the area. Do you think this is true? I know there are other does for a buck to breed with besides it's mother on my 55 acres, but if this is true there are many places a buck could set up shop at besides my property. Tell me what you think.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bucks don't leave any area for good. In the spring the doe still has last year's fawns hanging around. When she's ready to have this year's fawns, the does will chase last year's buck offspring away. The bucks then join bachelor groups in the area.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Research has shown that does will run their offspring young bucks out of the area. Many of them will relocate many miles away from their birth area.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

So it would probably be a good idea to kill a doe every now and then. My property doesn't have a huge deer population but it isn't too small either so i don't want to have to kill any does until it builds up a little more and plus i want to have does to keep bucks in the area during the rut.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does need to be taken to keep a good doe to buck ratio but if you don't have that many deer in your area I wouldn't think t would be wise to kill many.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

The buck doe ratio is about even
Old 08-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

i read an article very similar to this. but the one i read said that in the early season if you see a older doe and a button you should shoot the doe because she will run him off.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

no i think the deer know eachother...
Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Since i'm not going to shoot does i'm going to keep an eye on the little bucks and and see if they stay in the area or not.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Son, to control bucks. . .

on a 55 acre property, you better have a 45 foot fence going all the way around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.