Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What does checking wind do?

Old 08-19-2010, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Most importantly, it lets you know which way to face when taking a leak.
I agree!!! This "Wind/scent" thing is really blown out of proportion, Wind direction does play a role in hunting but I think it is way overplayed, to "play the wind in a hunting situation (unless you are hunting open area) can be a great distraction, when you should be hunting you are playing with the wind. And don't forget, Deer live in the elements and get used to a verity of smells. I think movement is far more important than smell, The use of UV killers, and moving slow, or sitting with out movement is far more important than the wind. I generally like hunting with a decent wind as it creates noise and this in-turn makes the deer a little unsettled. when hunting with a good breeze I try and quarter the wind, but I really don't spend a lot of time dwelling on it. I worry more about taking a leak, JMOP Doc
Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default SteveBNy

Yup. Makes sense to me.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:51 AM
Spike

I also agree that the deers sence of smell isn't what gives you away. Its movement. I've gotten alot of deer to walk so close i could have cut its throat. Sit still, don't move, and have your gun on your shoulder. Move your gun/bow up when he's looking away, not straight down..

A buck will put his head down, but still look your way if he sences something, Thats how alot of hunters get busted..

Last edited by Tasumin; 08-20-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Q_QbearQ_Q
I'm 15, so im not really an expert at hunting, yet.
Experience is what matters...and the good thing is you're getting started early! Don't worry about what some of the "know it alls" in here say. We all start somewhere. Just take the advice from the ones willing to help you because there is a lot of good hunters here that are willing. And forget the ones that criticize you for not knowing. Asking questions before & after a hunt is the best way to understand...so keep asking.

Good luck and keep learning!!!