Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need advice on bow for 15 year old son

Old 08-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Spike

Default need advice on bow for 15 year old son

Hello,

I joined this forum a while ago but have been inactive. I've been hunting for years (rifle) but a few years ago bought a Parker bow for myself and went bowhunting for the first time last year. I live in Long Island, NY. I'm trying to find out what would be a really good bow for my son. He's still growing and will probably be taller than me (I'm 6' tall). Right now he's about 5'9" and I'd like to get a good hunting bow for him. I would like to buy something that he can use now and can be used later when he's fully grown.

Is this possible or am I expecting too much?

Thanks for any help!

John
Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Spike

Take a look at the pse bow madness line. Its a great bow and has an adjustable draw length so it can grow with him.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have a mission ux2 and love it! I also know some buddies who have got a menace for its ability to adjust and grow with you...great bow for young hunters and at a good price...just my $.02
Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

If he can pull 60 lbs, then you can buy him a bow that will serve him until he has his own money to upgrade, with many great choices. If he can't pull 60 yet, then most likely in a few years he will want a bow that pulls in the 60-70 lbs range so that should factor in to wehat you spend.

You can also often get a 'custom shop' bow for a few dollars more from all the major manufacturers that is a tweener, such as my Hoyt that is 55-65 lbs.

Draw length will obviously also be an issue, so getting a bow that has a few extra inches draw length to add would prolong the bows life for your son.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

thats what i was going to say pighunter, but i have a fred bear Truth (the original) but it has amazing adjustments, 25-32 for draw and you can take the weight from 45-75, its a pain in the a to do but after a time or two it gets easy
Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pighunter270
Take a look at the pse bow madness line. Its a great bow and has an adjustable draw length so it can grow with him.
Thats what I have and im 15. Im nearly 5' 11", 160-ish pounds and pulling 60# with my pse madness. There are three sizes. The pse madness xs, just the pse madness, and the pse madness xl. I have the middle one and it is great! I just bought it this past deer season and I plan on using this bow for years and years!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Spike

If he cant pull 60# yet parker offers a deal for their youth bows......they will upgrade draw and limbs to max for $50 thats something to consider http://http://parkerbows.com/pb/2007...experience=beg just my .02
Old 08-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

For a youth bow you can't go wrong with the Diamond Razor edge. It has more adjust-ability than any other youth bow out there. The parker is another nice bow but after he grows out of the youth sized limbs he's gunna have to switch them out and buy new ones which will run you about another 50 dollars. and even with the new limbs he's still gunna be shooting slower than the razor edge. As for the Bear Apprentice....Its a decent bow...but im not too fond with it.
You ought to make a trip down to Cabelas in HAmburg Pa. We'll set your boy up with something that will fits him.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'd check with the professionals

The ones in the business every week. And you have to do your homework too.

Most archers know a couple of type bows, their own draw size and their weight pounds pull.

There is more variability in bows today, but picking out a bow for a 15 year old for this year, next year and the year after, is a lot worse than picking out shoe sizes for a growing youth.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

I'm 15 and I've been shooting a Bowtech 101st Airborne 60-70lb for two seasons now. The draw weight is at about 64 right now and that's what it's been for a couple years. If he can draw back a 60-70lb bow I'd get that for sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.