Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Close Encounters!

Old 07-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Had this buck at 20 yards during bow season in 2008:

My brother ended killing his last year...grossed 199"

Old 07-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Just last Bow season after exiting my stand I took notice to a very heavily traveled scrapeline. I suspected that it was used by one of three dandy bucks in the area. I quickly prepared a spot(on the ground) to hunt that crossing another day. I pondered the spot the next morning and conditions(wind direction) proved satisfactory.I sat it. About 9:30 three doe flanked crosswind of me closely followed by the suspected buck.They all entered thick vegetation, then 1 by 1 began to funnel up the scrape line which was 30 Yds. from me. The first doe stopped and began browsing soon joined by a bigger doe. They eventually ended up about 20 FT. from me. Sadly they became nervous and circled downwind alerting the buck who soon vanished. I encountered that buck the next two days without getting a shot off. Maybe he'll fall to the Bowtech this year!!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by _zink_
well i looked out my window and saw 2 big bucks
haha I hear you there! Happens all the time
Old 07-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

This past spring we were dog/hog hunting. Me & Jason were standing next to a dried up pond while his Catahoulas were working some surrounding palmetto patches. We saw the tall grass parting & figured it was one of the dogs coming back to us. Wrong, it was a big mad HOG !!! I pulled my .357 off my hip & fired one shot at about 10 feet & the hog wheeled away with the dogs about 20 yards behind it. I was shaking like a leaf & so was Jason. Never been charged by one before (unless they're wounded - they always charge). I guess I missed it because we found no blood. The dogs ran it around the far side of the pond & suddenly that hog disappeared. Even Lightning, the best dog in the pack, couldn't pick up the trail. I'll be there tomorrow morning for the opening day of archery season. Hopefully, we will meet again.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

First year of hunting (2 years ago). I had been in a stand most of the morning and decides to get down and stalk a bit. The sun was out and although cool (40s) it was pleasant. After stalking for a bit I sat down on the side of a hill, put the rifle across my lap and, yes, dozed off in the sun. I woke up to hear leaves moving near me..I slowly opened my eyes and turned my head to the right, and there about 10 feet from me was a mature doe walking up the hill. She stops, and we stare at eachother from 10 feet for maybe 60 secs. I moved nothing except my head, and she appeared confused as to what I was. After about 60 seconds she took 2 or 3 steps backwards and started pawing at the ground and mildly snorting, each time looking up at me. After doing that for maybe 30 seconds she took one step towards me, looked into my eyes again, and then turned and slowly continued her walk up the hill.

I could have pulled up my gun and shot her, but I decided to let her go.

It really was pretty cool.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

up here we sometimes have to go back in the woods quite a ways to hunt good spots,,,many a night ive walked out in the dark to be able to stay untill that last second of shooting light,,i cant count the times,ive swallowed my heart haveing deer blow right neer me comeing out in the dark...sometimes you just walk right up on em..dont help your new shorts any though...lol