Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I'M CURIOUS - how do you go about

Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by trmichels
choosing a hunting site?

Do you spend long hours scouting for a particualr deer?
i put my cameras out in june and depending on the pictures i get i will know what bucks to look for. other than that i watch fields near my hunting spots and just look for deer to see where they are comming from and leaving from and if i see one of those bucks its a huge plus.

Or do you look for good deer sign and hang a stand, hoping a good one comes by?
i hunt major travel routes as said before i like to try and find where multiple trails come together or like i said earlier if i find out where deer are entering/exiting a field i will try to hang a set/blind there

Or do you have a traditional stand you hunt year after year?
depending on the spot. some spots more than one stand is overkill because i hunt tracks as small as 6 or 7 acres.

Do you change sites based on the weather, or stick it out, or just don't go when things aren't right?
i will only go into a spot if the wind is right. other than that i have had absolutely no good experience in the rain but the snow is a complete different story and i will never get down unless i have to because you just cant kill em sitting at home

1. How many camers do you have out? Did you initially or do you know, spend time to find the right location to put out your cameras, such as lookng for rubs, scrapes tarils? And how many years, or scouting sessions, did it take you to understand the best places to hunt on each property?
i use 2 cameras right now but i have more comming in soon but i put my cameras out where i hunt (right by my stands) so i know what the deer are doing why they are in there and where they come from. as to understanding the property i hunt smaller properties mainly and those are fairly easy to understand by easy i mean within a few months but when i get to larger 100 acre farms its alot harder mabey a couple years.

2. What do you use to stop he deer in front of camears, and what do you use to stop the deer when hunting, if anything?
here it is... june-few weeks before season=salt lick and apples
opening-rut=corn corn corn
post rut-end of the season=more corn and this protien stuff i got at tsc thats for livestock
Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

i like to take a walk in the woods right about now and see where I see sign. I really like to see fresh deer droppings. I have seen some dropping sit for weeks, so if you see old ones its not to say deer aint still there, just that fresh ones are better. from there I get a 50 pound bag of corn or sweet feed and start dumping it every week. sometimes you can buy the sweet feed cheaper than the corn till about late september. then i usually find a farmer that is selling corn for about 6 bucks on the 100. I think cameras and all are great but I just dont have the money, wish I did. The nice think about corn is if you rake the leaves away and put it on moist soft soil, you can see if deer are coming to your corn pretty easily. the other nice thing, in my experience, is that if you dont have money to get corn out for a week or two, the deer are still checking it. That means you still have deer coming in even when you dont have the corn. I try to make the spot I am hunting comfortable for the deer. Somewhere they think they can get an easy and tasty meal and be safe. The other thing is if you put it in the woods you can put it on their path to a field they are feeding on in the dark and then you get that little edge on shooting light right before dark. this year I would like to try a food plot. I am thinking of using Secret Spot by whitetail institute. Would love some feedback if anyone has tried it, and some tips would be even better.