Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting Sticks

Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used shooting sticks in a hang on tree stand quite often, and in a long range situation where you have no branches to use as a rest, they are invaluable. I won't take a shot a deer if I don't have a solid rest.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I once put my buddy up one of my treestands to rifle hunt. I cut him a piece of stick to use as a shooting stick. It was thick enough so it didn't slip through the rungs of the flooring.

All one had to do was prop it up and sit the gun where the hand and stick were. The adjustment came by angling the stick or raising/lowering the grip. I did this too on the ground but found using a bi-pod ended up steadying me even more.

iSnipe
Old 07-13-2010, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

I've seen several 'professional' hunters on tv using forked sticks that they found on the way to their tree for gun rests.

I am a great shot with a rest, but even when I am calm I wont shoot far without something to put my gun on. I've had complete misses on deer at embarrassingly close ranges trying to shoot freehand with a little buck fever

rw