Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting with .223??

Old 04-11-2010, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The best current military round . . .

might not be the best deer hunting round.

Most good deer hunters fire only one shot at one deer. Not more than one or multiple rapid shots or multiple targets simultaneously. So A hunter does not need a rapid firing military type rifle or cartridge.

In a military sense, deer hunters are most like snipers. For them it's one shot, quickly, and done. Interest for the hunter is for one good shot; not three shots in the guts and rear area of the deer.

There is a reason why military snipers don't use the .223 round.

For me, case closed.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Valentine
might not be the best deer hunting round.

Most good deer hunters fire only one shot at one deer. Not more than one or multiple rapid shots or multiple targets simultaneously. So A hunter does not need a rapid firing military type rifle or cartridge.

In a military sense, deer hunters are most like snipers. For them it's one shot, quickly, and done. Interest for the hunter is for one good shot; not three shots in the guts and rear area of the deer.

There is a reason why military snipers don't use the .223 round.

For me, case closed.
You do realize that the .223 is available in bolt action rifles, right? It's not just chambered in AR-15's... And, why do you presume that someone hunting with an AR-15 does so for the rapid firing capability? Why do you presume that someone using an AR is suddenly transformed into a slob hunter shooting deer in the guts and azz? Why not allow for its use based on the fact that it's a highly accurate platform with great ergonomics?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

I worked for a year as a butcher and have killed many hogs, beef, water buffalos, bison and elk out to 50-60 yards ( as far as i felt comfortable hitting the frontal brain shot) in the pasture with a ruger all weather 22 mag. Ive also taken deer and hogs in the field with a 22 hornet. All with the brain shot or neck ball joint shot. Do i believe everybody should? No, the average deer hunter shoots less than a box a year through his rifle and doent practice in any hunting type shooting positions. If you practice enough then hoot em with what you have, shot placement is key with any caliber. Even a .458 Lott wont drop an azz shot whitetail.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Spike

I used to have this very conversation with my dad. For some reason, he preferred to use his rifle chambered for .223 vs his 30-06 or 30-30 when hunting for deer. Maybe it's because everyone in our hunting camp used to say it couldn't or shouldn't be done. Or maybe because he just liked the rifle. Anyways, it sure did the job, time and time again.

Ethical shots should always be practiced, regardless of the caliber. I've seen too many guys over-gun themselves thinking it would help them take a deer more efficiently only to see them unable to handle the recoil and wound game. Not a good outcome.

If it's legal in your state, if you practice enough and become proficient with your rifle/caliber of choice, then do what makes you happy, not others.