Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting with .223??

Old 03-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I'm an advocate of the .223, but I don't go around suggesting it's the ideal caliber for deer. For me, since I'm trained and have had thousands of rounds down the barrels of several guns, plus having knowledge of the anatomy of deer, I feel comfortable with it. However, since many use it because they already own the caliber, I'd recommend a larger caliber if they have one in their possession. If not, then a broadside low shot in the heart/lung area is your target. Slight quartering is ok, but only slight and don't get cute with neck or head shots if you are not familiar with it. We're talking a living creature here; one of which "we" claim to be one of our most prime game and are ethical in the manner in which we pursue them.

iSnipe
Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Since it was mentioned that there are deer specific rounds now for the .223, what company(ies) puts them out and where can a guy see the specs on these type ammunitions?

iSnipe
Old 03-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JagMagMan
Yeah it'll work, and you could catch a Bull Red on a 2 lb. fly line too!
The difference is that if your 2 lb. fly line breaks the Bull Red escapes to bite a hook another day! Make the SLIGHTEST mistake with the .223, it is a wasted, dead animal!
Just because it can work, doesn't make the .22's good choices, legal or not!
I normally don't agree with short horns, but he's got a point. Using a 223 is far from the best weapon you could use. Sure, in a pinch it might get the job done, but the margin for error is smaller. I would step up to at least a .243 if I were you.

On the other hand, a 300 wsm is actually a little overkill for a standard deer rifle. If I were just buying a deer rifle I would look at 308, 270, 30-30, 7mm-08 etc..
Old 03-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

its kind of like the 17hmr for coyote debate. 17hmr will kill a coyote but given the choice most would pick the 223.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I wouldn't want anyone in my hunting partying using a .223. Yes, it could kill a deer, but isn't the point of hunting to get a clean kill of an animal. There are far too many things that could go wrong with a .223. Ive seen deer hit perfect with 30 06 and still go a 150 yards, I can't image that seem deer hit with a .223. I do think that a .223 might be an acceptable choice for far south whitetails with smaller bodies, but I wouldn't even think of using one on a big northern Whitetail. I think that guy that started this thread should have put "The answer is yes, it can kill a deer, but no, it should not be a first, second or third choice as your deer hunting rifle unless you enjoy letting many of your deer die a slow death"
Old 03-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

I've hunted several times with a .22-250. Even though it did some damage, I always felt undergunned. So I sold it and bought a .243. So far every deer shot with the .243 dropped on the spot.

I also agree, the .300 WSM is way overkill for deer. My 300 WSM is my elk rifle, but I'll have used it Mule deer hunting when shots can be 300+ yards.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:07 AM
Fork Horn

In Missouri you can use any centerfire cartridge. Now I'm a one shot, one kill kind of guy, even though I'm not a Marine sniper. I have killed many deer, and coyotes with a 223, and with a 22-250 as well. I have never lost one or even had one run more than a few yds., 25 max, from one of these rifles. I've not even heard of anyone not liking these rifles outside this forum. And for sure, these rifles are number one where I live, when it comes to teaching kids as young as 5 to deer hunt. I have, and will continue to use these rifles whenever I want to, because I can, and because they work as good as anything else I've ever tried. Plus I refuse to be outdone by 5 year olds. Another thing is, even though I'd rather have the 308 personally, 223's have been used by the military to good effect against countless men for over 40 years, and if it's good enough to kill men, then I think we can risk it on deer.
But, If you are already grown and recoil is not a problem for you, if you are new to shooting, and the cost of ammo is not a problem, and you have a choice in what gun you can buy or use, then by all means get a bigger rifle. My weapon of choice, is a 308 most of the time I go out hunting deer. Not because I can't kill a deer in perfect conditions, with a 223. But because I seldom expect perfect conditions when I deer hunt. I once knew a farmer who fed a large family with a bolt action .22 short rimfire. He's dead now so I can tell. He claimed that he'd never missed or needed two shots. His technique was to spot light them and shoot them in the ear canal from 25 yds or less. Not cool, I know, but it worked for him, and it's the only gun he had. And when you are forced to feed your family, the law doesn't mean so much.
If you never hunted before but inherited a 223. and some ammo and can just barely afford to buy a deer tag and need some meat, then practice up and go hunting, you have as much right as anyone else, and your gun will do the job, if you can do yours.
If you can do it and it makes you happy and you stick with that gun forever, I'm happy for you. I know people who use things like 300 win mags, which to me is way, way overboard! But then again, if howitzers were available and legal for deer, and I could afford the gun and the ammo, I'd probably try it, at least once. My point I hope is clear. If it works for you, then who cares if its ok with anyone else, as long as it is legal? I know some kids (in their 20's) who hunt next door to my lease. One is using a very rusty over and under 223/410. He says he has to hold it closed or it opens when he fires. He doesn't want that to happen because he loses his 410 slug that he may need for a follow up shot. His sister uses a 30-30 with no front sight. I would never recommend either of these, but they both killed deer last year with them. Both are inherited guns from their dead father that they taught themselves to shoot.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Spike

Default deer hunt with.223

Why not use a 223? It was built to kill men and deer aren't any bigger up here in michigan. I killed my first with a 22lr in 58, second one was a much bigger 218 bee. That old bee kept meat on the table for many years until I got an 06. Never chased a deer killed with the bee, and no I did not lose any either. Just need to know how to shoot.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default Just my take.....

Originally Posted by tagalong
Why not use a 223? It was built to kill men and deer aren't any bigger up here in michigan. I killed my first with a 22lr in 58, second one was a much bigger 218 bee. That old bee kept meat on the table for many years until I got an 06. Never chased a deer killed with the bee, and no I did not lose any either. Just need to know how to shoot.
Take a look at the top sniper rifles thru out the world. 7.62. Reason, simple, you're looking to kill. On the battle field with a M-16, if you wound a enemy combatant, it's out of the action, plus it takes 1-2 to of it's buddies to drag and care for it. Not what I'm looking for in a deer rifle. I like the one shot, one kill scenario.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

I think the 64 grain soft point and 62 grain BTSX are great deer rounds.. In fact if you look on the ammo makers website and on the box they stated it is loaded for Deer sized game.. We have killed deer with everything from 222 on up to 35 wheelen and they all end the same. Dead deer.. If the State allows it and the ammo companies make it for deer and you wound or loose a deer.. You only have one person to blame and that is the one pulling the trigger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.