Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When do you make the decision to shoot?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default Don't grocery shop when you're hungry....

I've been fortunate enough to be to draw extra doe tags outside my combo license. So what I try to do with some help from some farmer friends in the area, is shoot two mature doe real early in the season. This always helps me with my decsion making the rest of the season. Now I'm not worried about meat as much, and can try and stick with my self imposed rule of shooting a older mature buck only. I'll tell you what though, it's hard not to shoot that 6 or less with my bow, because any horned buck is a good buck with your bow. Having that meat in the freezer helps a whole lot.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

First clear shot that will allow me to put a bullet through the vital area. But I don't shoot at running deer at all. No good at it.

Shots down my way are seldom over 200 yards, so distance has not been my problem. It is stuff in the way ... brush, reeds, trees, creek banks, etc.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Spike

if its under 155-160 i dont shoot
Old 06-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

At IMB Outfitters we have a 125 inch minimum, so I stick to those standards. If our clients have to abide by it, then I will too. As for meat in the freezer, any good doe just may end up there.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Spike

If I grab the bow from the hanger the deer is big enough. I go off of initial reaction. Typically anything over about 155 will have me grabbing my bow.... As far as does, some days I will go out with the intention of shooting one and other days you just never know...