Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

some scent control questions

Old 01-31-2010, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default some scent control questions

I have been using fundamental scent control such as showering before hunts using scent control soap, washing hunting clothes in scent control detergent and storing in sealed bag, spraying down with scent control spray before hunting.

More times that not, I seem to get busted when deer get downwind. I started thinking about the scents my other gear might pick up.

I would like to know if anyone does anything special to store their climbing stand and pack between hunts to keep them scent free as well. I currently keep mine in the garage, may be picking up scent of car (gas, oil, exhaust) as well as scent of the garbage can.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will find that scent control products don't work as advertized regardless of what you do. I quit spending money on those products long ago, hunt the wind and have to same luck I have always had. The only thing that I have had actually work for me has been skunk scent, long ago when it was from real skunks. The recent products that are "synthetic" skunk odor have not worked. So if you see a skunk lying by the side of the road........

One other thing that has been reported to really work is not eating meat for two weeks before the hunt. Evidently the odor comes from being a meat eater. Never been able to pull that one off either. Love my meat too much.

Last edited by txhunter58; 01-31-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am also not a big fan of scent control commercial products. I do wash my hunting clothes in baking soda and store my gear in rubber-maid containers. I also change before and after entering and leaving the woods. That's all I do besides always being aware of the wind.

I also store my self climber and other gear on the screened porch. I think keeping your gear in the gararge is not in your best interest. Treat all your gear the same.

Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

before the season starts, i collect a bunch of acorns and i crush them up and put them in plastics bags with holes in them. it seems to work for me and my clothes smell like acorns and the deer lover acorns...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scent control is easy....stay downwind of your quarry.

I tried a few of the products, including ScentLok clothing, for a couple years. Absolutely no change. So I quit wasting my money and just became a good enough hunter to think ahead where the deer were likely to funnel in from. It's not perfect but it costs nothing and works just as well.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Its all about the wind!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

scent control past washing etc...

imagine you are a fish net filled with rice......everytime you walk , rice (scent) is falling outta everywhere...so you need to tuck your pants in your boots, your shirts and jackets into your pants, and your hood in your jacket. then from head to toe with spray with your gloves on already. this will keep you from shedding skin particles everywhere you go....breath through your nose all the time if possible...if you are on a hill...you wanna be above the trail in the mornin and below it at night. suck on some mint leaf instead of Copenhagen when in your stand to disguise your breath. scent lok works for me i have a 1 piece suit and just wash it old school style and hang all of my stuff in the barn with the horses for a few weeks and stuff everything in a scent free bag...and i still hunt all the way to the blind as to not get hot and swetty. i spray my bow too, and i dont take anything that didnt stay in the barn for those couple weeks.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:30 PM
Spike

i smoke cigarettes in my stand PLAY THE WIND
Old 02-01-2010, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
scent control past washing etc...

imagine you are a fish net filled with rice......everytime you walk , rice (scent) is falling outta everywhere...so you need to tuck your pants in your boots, your shirts and jackets into your pants, and your hood in your jacket. then from head to toe with spray with your gloves on already. this will keep you from shedding skin particles everywhere you go....breath through your nose all the time if possible...if you are on a hill...you wanna be above the trail in the mornin and below it at night. suck on some mint leaf instead of Copenhagen when in your stand to disguise your breath. scent lok works for me i have a 1 piece suit and just wash it old school style and hang all of my stuff in the barn with the horses for a few weeks and stuff everything in a scent free bag...and i still hunt all the way to the blind as to not get hot and swetty. i spray my bow too, and i dont take anything that didnt stay in the barn for those couple weeks.
Dang halfbaked, didn't realize you were into like I was. That's some good ****. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 02-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wind is the #1 factor. Scent control can help, but it can't make you scentless any more than camo can make you invisible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.