Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Telling age of deer

Old 01-25-2002, 02:17 PM

Default Telling age of deer

Has anyone ever heard that you can tell the age of a deer by how long it's snout of face is? Someone's pride stands on this question. He thinks that the older a deer is, the shorter its snout gets. None of the rest of us have ever heard this and he has no proof, so we thought that maybe someone else could help us out. I read the column on this site about how to tell, and it didn't say anything about their snouts, but maybe someone else has heard of this. Any comments will help solve this dilemma!
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2002, 02:23 PM

Default RE: Telling age of deer

Answer this, do you think a 3.5 year old snout is smaller than a fawn's snout? You can not age a deer this way. The best way you can age a deer is by the molars, using a technique called wear and replacement. It is a pretty good way to age a deer, up until the deer is about 5.5 years old. I hope this helps.

Rob

Edited by - Corvid Killer on 01/25/2002 15:23:59
Old 01-25-2002, 02:44 PM

The only true way is to check the lower jaw for teeth wear.
I know older deer will have a more elonggated face.I can usually tell a fawn by its stubby head. Maybe that is what he was talking about.It will not tell you the exact age.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:32 AM
Typical Buck

Never heard of such a thing...we take the lower jaw to a local wildlife biologist...only true age indicator is tooth wear. Welcome to the board!

TB
Old 01-26-2002, 01:10 PM

the only way to realey tell is by the teeth.you can tell it is a mature buck,most of the time by the way his belley will sag with age and hie nose will seem to get a small hump on it.
also a deers head and snout will get larger the older it gets,not shorter.the skull will get thicker and heaver.
hope this helps

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.

Edited by - tree climber on 01/26/2002 14:12:18
Old 01-26-2002, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

deer faces definitely get longer as they get older
Old 01-27-2002, 10:57 AM

teeth wear isnt the only factor. the older they get the wider the lower jaw will be also. in idaho we must give the lower jaw of all elk killed to the fish and game and within 6 months they will post the age of the animal. i shot a 2 1/2 year old 6x6 bull elk 2 years ago. the fish and game was impressed that such a young bull had such a big rack. and wanted to know more about the area i shot him.