Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it less challenging if you have tons of deer?

Old 06-10-2003, 08:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-10-2003, 08:51 PM

Default RE: Is it less challenging if you have tons of deer?

With large deer populations, there is still a challenge; it just lies elsewhere. Instead of trying to kill a legal deer, you try for a bigger buck.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing to remember about large deer populations is that there are more sets of eyes, ears and noses to bust you with.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you hunt in areas where the deer are plentiful and you see deer everyday you hunt, and you know you will definitely put venison in the freezer...,....does it take the challenge out of it?
It' s still a challenge when you have to worry about ten sets of eyes ears and noses! It is more rewarding when your hunting a very low population of deer in big timber and you make your harvest.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the places I hunt has plenty of deer, not much huntable land, and too many hunters for the acreage. The deer are extreemly educated there and will bust you for the smallest mistake. Even when things go right and they come with-in range, getting one that makes my personal qualifications list isn' t easy since they tend not to be that big. I' ve walked out of there several years without one . . . from there anyway.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

With large numbers of deer in the area, there are STILL lots of challenges:

You still have to get close enough to harvest one, and beating a LOT of deer' s noses isn' t easy, beating one or two deer is difficult enough, beating twenty is even moreso! Having lots of deer also presents a new challenge, if I were lucky to see 2-5 deer a season, i.e. a small herd, I' d take the first opportunity that presented itself, but since I usually see 2-5 deer a day during season, I have to, first, control myself so I don' t waste a tag on a small deer, and secondly, plan my hunts so I don' t disturb the smaller deer, but can get close enough to the larger deer, which usually means getting uncomfortably close to the smaller deer pods, as they tend to roam larger circles than the more wary older deer. Getting close is still difficult, and since we have so many deer, I do it 3-5 times a year, and like I said, I beat the noses on 2-5 deer a day.

I will admit, though, that hunting somewhere that has a lot of deer does present itself to poaching and idiots, and there are lots of guys, unfortunately, that will go out into these areas and just ' spray and pray' at any deer they see at any range, which isn' t hunting, ethical, or legal. Taking ethical shots at challenging ranges (i.e. the close ones under 100yrds, since it' s a challenge to get them close) is still very difficult, I just have more deer to choose from when I get there, and like I said, having 5 deer in front of you is a two sided coin, I have more opportunity to take a deer, but I also have 10eyes, 10ears, and 5noses that might give me away, as opposed to 2-2-1. When one deer is walking on the field, you can move a LOT more, because you can see where it' s looking, but watching the eyes of 5 deer at a time is very difficult, and getting opportunities to reposition are few and far between.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am fortunate I can hunt areas with high deer populations. While nothing is every a garuntee, having lots of deer around can only make it easier if just by dumb luck of running into one. Even with lots of deer you still have to follow the rules with scent and movement etc, you can' t be a total idiot.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe that the high population areas has a lower population of big bucks, since there is so much competition. I definately respect those who expect to see very few, if any deer, but hopefully that is balanced by a greater likelihood of getting a really nice buck. To me, half of the excitement, even while sitting on stand, is the POSSIBILITY of seeing a nice buck. There aren' t many big ones where I hunt. But it would make for the time on stand to be enjoyable and exciting. Of course, it is also that way now, when seeing deer is probable during any given hunt (except when it is hot!).

On advantage to people who see lots of deer is that they get more practice to try controlling buck fever. I can imagine hunting the low population areas that also have bigger bucks. If I went a few days without seeing anything, then suddenly saw a bruiser (0 to 60 in two seconds), my heart would be in my throat!
Old 06-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t think there was one person hunting in high deer numbers, that said it was less challenging. Kinda suprised me. Is it possibly because those who hunt in these states/provinces, never hunted in area with low deer numbers? Maybe one would have to compare the two personally, before a decision could be made. Since I never had the luxury to hunt in places where I would see deer each and every time I went out, I don' t know how that would be first hand. All I do know is that every time I see a deer in the woods, it gets the adrenaline pumping, and the excitement never goes away. We do well but tagging an adult deer consistently is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do. If I can bat .500, that would be very respectable. One of my sons failed to shoot his deer last season. The first time in 12 yrs. Eleven yrs in a row is something to be real proud of. I would think if I saw 10-20 deer each time I went out, I would lose some of the excitement. Hope I never do, and I hope you never do as well.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:00 PM

I' ve lived in areas that are blessed with deer. That is probably why I picked up a bow. The gun was getting boring. Bowhunting will increase the challenge no matter where you go. And if you are serious about it, you' ll become a better hunter (personally, not comparing to a gun hunter). You' ll start looking at travel routes and sign differently instead of points that offer the widest view. The chances of taking a deer with bow would obviously improve if the herd is larger. But I will share this experience last year: I had 9 deer within 15-30 yards and got busted by one doe. Nothing is a giveme when bowhunting. And that is what makes it so exciting............

Quick Reply: Is it less challenging if you have tons of deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.