Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Off Season

Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Off Season

So, our season ended yesterday and while technically we have spike/doe until Jan 17th, I already have a buck for the season so meat is covered. The season was a real mixed bag with some highlights and lowlights but I enjoyed it and even better, the gears in my head are grinding with all kinds of schemes and plans for the off season.

Highlights:
-I actually got back in the field after a ~4 year hiatus.
-Took my 8 year old daughter hunting and she really enjoyed it
-Got a buck. Not a trophy, but plenty good to eat.
-Got some in season scouting done and have a better grasp on the lay of the land
-Got to play with a trail cam for the first time

Lowlights:
-I set up in a high traffic area and it messed with the deer's movement patterns
-I have some rude family members
-I have Earl to deal with
-Someone wounded a young buck, no idea who, but I have him on camera this last week. Looks like he'll survive but not without some pain.

So, as far as that wounded buck, I have no clue who shot it. Ok, I have ideas and it iritates me. No one should be huntng my stand...in fact, I have a lock on it. Its possible he traveled from somewhere else or someone jumped him on a road somewhere. He's got an ugly fleshwound on the top of the shoulder, a good 4-6" above a solid kill shot. He seemed to be getting around just fine, however. Looks like a smaller rifle. I pulled the trigger once this season and have a buck to show for it at the sausage maker now. /shrug. I need to investigate.

Now, the main thing is getting ready for next season. To summarize, I've got a new stand spot picked up high up on a hill. There's a terrace that runs around the hill and its been cleared in years past so it provides a rounded shelf with LOS 200+yds in either direction. If (when) I get an elevated stand, I will be able to see down into the valley below and all the little clearings.

There are metric craptons of trails running through there and Friday we went hiking up through there and found a nice little rub on a tree. I'm going to get a 14' stand and stick it in a little hollow between a point of cedar trees.

My second spot will be back behind the quarry pit. There's about 12 acres that no one will mess with hunting because its fenced off behind the quarry but no one ever goes back there and its isolated. There's trails running through like crazy and tons of disturbed ground where hogs have been. I'm putting my ground blind back in there.

I found a nice little spot of my tree stand to bow hunt from. there's a gap in the fence where alot og game crosses and a heavy trail through the bruch. There's a tall, straight oak there 15 yds off the trail that will be perfect to camp out.

I've got alot to do, alot of things I need to fix, buy, put together, etc. I need to get my daughter set up with a rifle, I need to get a new bos and begin practicing. I need to move my ground blind and get some trail cams up and running at all of these new places.

I've thought about putting out a food plot but the ground out there is once big arse rock, not condusive to trying to plant something, unfortunately. The low lying areas are too high traffic and already spoken for.

So, I have my work cut out for me and it promises to be alot of fun.

Last edited by Horacio; 01-04-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Horacio
Yeah, I feel entitled to my very own 'season review' thread. So sue me.
That's a rather aggressive attitude for a new guy. I fell asleep halfway through anyway.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by early in
That's a rather aggressive attitude for a new guy. I fell asleep halfway through anyway.
Indeed, I seem to forget sometimes which forum I'm on. It was meant tongue-in-cheek but didn't come out that way. Amended.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Horacio
Indeed, I seem to forget sometimes which forum I'm on. It was meant tongue-in-cheek but didn't come out that way. Amended.
What? I thought your statement was funny. Oh well...

Looks like you've got lots planned. I'm interested to see how it all pans out for ya.