Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Invent a hunting product?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Invent a hunting product?

Did you ever think about, or try to invent or improve a hunting related product? I would really like to come up with a patent for the perfect climber. IMO all the ones currently on the market leave something to be desired.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a patent to be valid, the invention needs to be novel and non-obvious. It will cost $5000 or more to get the patent. Just because the patent is granted, does not in any way guarantee that the patent is actually valid or enforceable.

When someone violates your patent, you will need to fork over the cash to take the violator to court. Only in court will your patent be fully validated. If it is valid, you win and hopefully recover something from the violator. If it is invalid, you're out everything.

The patent system is far from perfect. Myself and a couple buddies came up with multiple good ideas one night over a case of beer while I was in business school. After weighing the positives and negatives, we decided it was likely not worth the effort unless you were willing to tolerate a LOT of risk.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

good point, i guess i dont so much care about protecting the patent as much as i would just like to come up w/ the perfect design to sell to some manufacturer. i think theres alot of hunters out there looking for a better climbing treestand, i would like to come up with a design that adresses all the problems of the ones currently on the market. i really have no idea where to start, but its still fun to think about
Old 12-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

let's team up....

big problem in my view with any hunting product is reaching the masses...

# of hunters is not many when compared to # of people in the US.

how many people hunt in the US?
there are 300million people in the US.

we already have tons of treestands, and I agree many are garbage, plain junk that work but not well.

also my climber works just fine, so how much of an improvement could there be?
2nd tons of hunters don't even use stands, and those that do many only use ladderstands.

so you're invention I would say doesn't apply to a huge population, so to reap profits...good luck

less you created an entire stand company....i dunno, I have plenty of stand ideas though....lets form a stand company, ill do the ladders, you do the climber...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

a 100% quitet at all times climber would be great...or scent elimination clothing that eliminated 100% of odors would be great to
Old 12-31-2009, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
let's team up...

less you created an entire stand company....i dunno, I have plenty of stand ideas though....lets form a stand company, ill do the ladders, you do the climber...
gee i dont know about starting stand company, the insurance premiums alone are scary to think about and how would we fund this venture?(um broke) sounds like a blast though, ill kept it in mind. im still trying to come up w/ the perfect design.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 125py
a 100% quitet at all times climber would be great...or scent elimination clothing that eliminated 100% of odors would be great to
I'm amazed that the existing businesses out there selling hunting gear have never thought of this.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

An arrow built stronger meaning less flex, fly straighter, and have a more powerful hit at impact. A stronger, tighter arrow would be what I would go for. Or maybe a ribbed arrow to increase aerodynamics. . . . . . . .
BigBuck95
Old 12-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

There certainly is alot of junk out there makes you think who's designing/building it.

Cheaper sells though, when guys stop buying junk and would rather pay full price for quality vs. discounted on junk maybe it'll change.

I too wonder about quiet gear....do they test this stuff in cold temps? stuff maybe quiet at room temp but at 20degrees its like a trashbag in the wind.

some junk stands i've owned have been built with such small gauge steel no wonder they squeaked with 200lbs on them....on an angled tree in freezing temps.

every new stand I buy is a ladderstand, with a flipup seat, arm rests, shooting rail, big standing platform. (not sure how bowhunters can shoot 360degrees off a 9"x12" platform???)
You'd be surprised how few options with this setup there are out there...
Old 12-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
There certainly is alot of junk out there makes you think who's designing/building it.
yeah take for example the equalizer climber, it obviously a well made product and it gets pretty good reviews, but you would think w/ all the R&D they claim went into the design, they couldve come up w/ a better cranking device than that stupid plastic handle that protrudes out from the side. not to mention its not a very roomy stand, but it still weighs 20 -24 lbs! they couldnt shave some weight off that thing?

Im thinking theres gotta be a way to adjust the leveling of a climber w/out messing w/ the actual cables themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.