Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Invent a hunting product?

Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

why do guys love climbers so much?

I must do completely different hunting...

I can understand if you're hunting public land where you can't put up a stand for more than 1 day, aside from that? or if you're a new guy with just 1 stand.

Most people I know who hunt deer in the midwest hunt private land, with multiple stands they just leave out in place....
Old 12-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
why do guys love climbers so much?

I must do completely different hunting...

I can understand if you're hunting public land where you can't put up a stand for more than 1 day, aside from that? or if you're a new guy with just 1 stand.

Most people I know who hunt deer in the midwest hunt private land, with multiple stands they just leave out in place....
Well let me say that I own a 2 person ladder stand and a Summit classic climber. My climber is so much more comfortible than the ladder stand it's not even funny.

The thing I would do to change climber's to make them better would be make them lighter. maybe a different kind of metal.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes lighter would be better . maybe not metal at all resin or i was reading something about carbon nano tubes or something like that . well it is suppose to be a lot stronger than steel but lighter than aluminium . Probably would cost to much but it would be nice
Old 12-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter
yes lighter would be better . maybe not metal at all resin or i was reading something about carbon nano tubes or something like that . well it is suppose to be a lot stronger than steel but lighter than aluminium . Probably would cost to much but it would be nice
You could construct the stand like the do bikes out of carbon fiber, but who will pay $3000 or more for an ultralight treestand??
Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Patents

$5000?! I don't think so. I'm going through it right now on a non-hunting product. It will cost $20K+ trust me. You can do a provisional patent for a couple hundred yourself to buy you time (1 year from date of filing) to work out details and file for the regular Nonprovisional patent. That's when the money begins to flow.

To do it without a patent attourney is crazy...but possible. You need someone who knows that system bacause it is very confusing and just about everything gets denied the patent on the initial submission for whatever reason.

I have an idea for a hunting accessory product right now and might try to patent but don't really have the money to do it. (No I'm not tellin yet) Probably will get a provisional on it before making it public to try to gauge demand.

A lot of times people have ideas and do nothin about it. Might be a huge hit or a flop. Only one way to find out.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Over the years, I have "come up" with a number of ideas that seemed like a great idea at the time (but of course did not follow through on a patent...not even sure if I could on some of them)...only to have one company or another come out with basically that item...(now why didn't I file that patent)...

One of the last ones was an idea for a new style of muzzleloader...I was looking at my vintage 1863 (actually a 1874 production) and thinking about how it could be converted to a muzzleloader...easy enough to do since the 45-70 is basically a straight case...but since the Springfield is a trapdoor you could not mount a scope...THAT IS NO GOOD...

So what about a Farqahrson falling block design (like a Ruger No 1 in .45-70). Thread the chamber to accept a breach plug and you have a sealed system using 209 primers with an elegant 45 cal barrel that will easily withstand any reasonable (and being a Ruger probably most unreasonable) powder charges. And still be able to mount a scope on top.

Yeah...except the Ruger No 1 is a fairly expensive rifle.

Anyway I told my family and hunting buddies about it, then about 2 years later, TC comes out with the Omega...

Oh well, back to the drawing board...
Old 01-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter
Yep, there is an old saying; Light, Strong, Cheap, pick two!