Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stolen Stands-How to proceed

Old 12-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

That GPS gizmo is awesome! I think I'm gonna get me one. Not sure what for just yet but I'll figure out some uses.

Last edited by uncle matt; 12-29-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Get a trail camera. Dont put it along a trail. Put it in a tree at the same height as your stand about 25 feet away. Place it to the side so they are not looking directly at it when they are stealing your stand. Use a climber to get up a tree facing your stand. They wont be looking for it at that height, and you should get some good pix of them.

What I would do is wipe it down with poison ivy after you install it. They won't know it until its too late. When you see a kid walking around town scratching every body part (we all gotta pee some time!) he touched after stealing the stand you will know who your culprit it is.

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

as i get older i realize that what we think is a stand out of the way and in the middle of nowhere really isint. hunters tend to think alike and end up hunting many of the same places although we think we found a hidden spot. locking it up will be no match for bolt cutters and battery power saws and grinders. i have a couple good climbers and i only buy cheap clearance stands at the end of the season. if i have to leave a stand its only 30$ ladder or hang on. trail cameras are cheap too but i wouldnt get into a confronatation if you catch them. not worth it. let the game warden handle it. the first stand that i had stolen really sickened me but the love of the sport out weighs what some thief has done.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:48 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I need to ask on likley parking spots unless you think the culprits are hiking the stand out cross country.

I'd also place a well hidden trail cam at a parking spot if that is the only way in.

Also clearly mark you stand in some area that his hidden so if it is recovered you have it identified. (don't know if that was mentioned before)

JW
Old 12-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

I've had stands stolen in the past, and have had people run me off property that I had permission to hunt. Once they spiked my tires, stole my padlocked stand, and I just figured it wasn't worth it. I knew the culprit, but couldn't prove guilt. This sort of stuff used to tear me up with worry about my stands, and I eventually came to some peace with it. I've reverted to using climbing stands in most places I hunt, and take them out with me nearly every time. It's the only way to be sure you keep what's yours. It also prevents most others from pinpointing your hunting spot because there's no tell-tale stand left behind.

It can be a bit of a pain to haul a climber around, but the peace of mind you gain is really worth it if you have a lot of trouble with thieves in your area.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SuperRedHawk
Hide one of these in the stand somewhere?

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/co...ng-device.html
Now THAT's and interesting idea....

The land owner has a number of farm hands around that are going to keep their ears open and maybe do a little asking around to see if this 'kid' is still out trying to enforce his domain over all the forest. They are going to make a special effort to get the message out at the little local general store that is the gathering place for everyone in the area. I’m going to do the same. “Sure is a shame about the rash of tree stand thefts around here. Hope the sheriff’s department that is working on it can crack the case….” They are also going to keep their eyes open for traffic on this little used road as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Buck Holliday
You could always paint the stand hot pink. Who the hell wants to sit in a hot pink stand? Of course, the problem with that is the deer would probably be too embarrassed to show too.
I actually thought about that!