Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how do you do it??

Old 06-09-2003, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how do you do it??

thanx alot guys....im ready to become more selective....taking an animal isnt my first priority when hunting at all....i know alot of kids my age that dont have dads for many reasons...it take every minute im with my dad in and love it....we have a blast together....but it is HIS hunting spot and im 16...i have to cut the rope sometime and since ive been hunting hes been letting me do most of the shooting...i mean the last 2 years hes filled his tags before me...this year i could taken the first doe we seen and the second one he did take but i let him...i told him i dont want the first shot he can take anything from his side and i will take whats on mine... i was happy as could be he got his deer first...this spot is a great one as long as nothing changes...but one day i know i wont be sitting there beside him...i think the first day if he does want me to hunt with him which he probally will i will sit there with him...take our does together and even let him take the smaller bucks if he wants...he doesnt care about antlers...were in it for the meet and taking a doe is a great thing to us...then i will stay there all day while he goes back to camp or whatever...but to me i would like more bigger rack to hang on the wall...the frezzer will always have meet in it from one of us...i sit in the woods all year just to watch deer and turkeys...they amaze me....some of the things ive watched were wonderful.....i think passing a small buck would still make me happy knowing he could be on my wall...but i would like bigger and have meet so letting him go wont hurt...and i know the chance for an unfilled buck tag will be there when passing small ones....thats fine by me....i think i would enjoy being out there watching deer just as much as taking one..then when i finally get the big one i know how much i will enjoy that...more then taking a spike or something small....thanx guys....i think i am ready....this is my last year ARs dont apply to me but to me they will...bragging about a deer that everyone else in the woods except other youth could take isnt to special to me....thanx alot guys....
Old 06-10-2003, 06:39 AM

Take a camera or even better, a video camera with you in the woods. Take pictures while your waiting for that big one. It helps pass the time and you can record every doe and buck that you pass up.
Also, when you tell your friends you passed up 6 bucks in hopes of getting a shot at the biggun they' ll know for a fact your not telling a tall hunting story.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:51 AM

I used a plastic deer sled and dragged the deer while I walked the bike out. On fairly smooth trails or logging roads I could ride the bike and drag the deer at the same time. [:-]Im not sure how you could rig up a cart.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:18 AM

I have a 15 yr old son that does alot of hunting with me. He is kinda like you, he loves to hunt and usually takes the first deer he sees. I have noticed though, he has become more patient and selective at times.

I believe with age and experience comes maturity and patience, the older you get and the more seasons under your belt the easier it is to pass on deer. For the first time, my son passed on a fork horn last season in hopes of seeing a bigger deer.

As for me, I take a doe for the freezer the first opportunity I get, then I become really selective with what I harvest. Last season I did not take a buck. I did see and could have taken several smaller bucks but I let them pass. Maybe this year one of them will be a taker. I' ve been hunting for over 30 years, being selective is something that just come with experience and maturity.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:09 PM

Mauser,

Sounds like you' re about ready to get outfitted for a bow. This way you can spend more time in the woods when the deer are moving naturally. That way you can take your choice of the mature bucks you see. Good luck
Old 06-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

lpd...thats what i thought too......but you must missed my last post on the bow forum.....i need to buy my first truck in 3mnths and buying a bow and everything i need to bowhunt i wont have any money left for a truck....so i have to wait until next year......thats exzactly why i wanted to bowhunt..i see so many big bucks that time of year.....but i know they are there and im going to give them a real try this year in rifle season...im going to get a nice seat...a nice pack...pack extra clothes along with the norm and a nice supply of food....from an hour before light to dark i am sitting there....i know they are there.....and they have to move sometime....i will be there when they do......i cant wait....i have dreams about deer hunting already!! last night i shot a spike in my dream and i started crying because i thought it was a doe and i now had to use my only buck tag on the spike....i cant wait for rifle season!! thanx alot guys.....i got alot more scouting to do before then....i think i may try to find a spot of my own away from dads but in the same set of woods...or just sit in his spot all day.....well see....thanx guys....im ready....
Old 06-10-2003, 08:47 PM

Pass em up and dont think twice. It sounds like theres plenty of deer there, so give it a try, itll be hard but it gets easier as you go. It paid off for me last year, I passed ALOT of bucks looking for a bigun. I gave up and tried to take a doe for my last tag an Jan 6, but ended up killing my best bowkill.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:49 PM

mauser, im 16 also and i have been fortunate enought to kill 11 deer so far and 2 nice bucs. but i also spent many hours in my tree stand and listening to my dad and uncles talk about deer hunting and what has made them succesfull and when i was 14 they where talking about passing up smaller bucs and they all agreed if u shoot the first small buck u see u wont get a chance to kill that big buck your wanting. so my advice is just pass up them smaller bucks cause there gonna be big ones some day to and wait for that big one, you might end up not killing a deer but thats the price u pay for passing.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:35 PM

The best answer I have is to begin thinking like a hunter that works for future
hunters, like your children. By taking the strongest , healthiest does and bucks
you contribute to the decline of the herds health and vitality. A conservationist
hunts the weakest deer to ensure those deer don' t die of starvation or mate
and create weak gene links. So next time your out there, if you want a real
chalenge, try to discern the weakest deer and take them. That is ten times more
chalenging, but a thousand times more rewarding, at least your children will
think so as well as the children of the " friends" that laugh at your rackless
but well stocked freezer.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:44 AM

hunts the weakest deer to ensure those deer don' t die of starvation or mate and create weak gene links
How do you tell a genetically inferior deer from one that is not??

I have seen sick deer, old sick deer - but come Oct -Dec around here I cannot recall ever seing a genetically weak dear - so as it would damage the health of the herd.