Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best of the West

Old 12-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Fork Horn

Its all opinions I know on this so I wont get upset. In the area of Texas where I hunt you rarely get a shot under 200 yards and most shots average 300 to 400 yards. I guess us Texas boys just shoot better than the rest of yall... oh and girls, my daughter shot her first buck at 300 yards when she was 12.

The majority of the time you can not sneak up any closer on a deer or other game here.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:14 AM
Fork Horn

Big big difference between a 300 yard shot and a 900 yard shot. The Best of the West show is all about taking ultra ultra long shots on big game animals. From where they were glassing, if they wanted to sneak up on the moose they could have. Hunting and getting close game animals is not what the show is about...it's about shooting long range.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
ya know the funny thing is, most of the folks who don't agree with taking game at long range, have never put the time, money, and dedication into learning how its done, nor do most understand how it can be done efficiently or effectively.
RR
I agree 100%, BUT I also think these same folks don't have any interest in hunting that way. I'm one of them. As mentioned previously, I'm into seeing how close of a shot I can get at a deer. I guess being a bowhunter plays a big part in my thinking.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Most of the people I hunt with or talk hunting with have no business taking a shot like that. I would defer to someone who says they have the training/practice to take those shots with some accuracy but it ain't for me. I'm a decent shot and I like to play around and see how far out I can hit my target but for me, that target is going to be an iron plate or something. I don't have and am not inclined to spend the money on the necassary equipment to judge a game animal at that distance, let alone take a confident shot. the land I'm hunting on right now is so dense in brush, the longest shot possible is probably 500 yds from the windmill hill looking out. I'm setting up a high tower on a hill next season and would be well advised to practice quite a bit and upgrade the optics on my .06 because its probably likely I'll see deer at distance from there. Who knows?
Old 12-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Spike

Default yea

if you had 8 people with you no wonder you couldnt get closer than 1300 yards. granted MUCH more feasible with a third shot hit. still stand firm a first round strike is practically impossible from that distance regardless of your bullets bs i mean bc.

on top of feeling its HORRIBLY disrespectful to the animal, however; thats a personal opinion. and think people should be allowed to hunt in whatever manner they deem fit