Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big Discussion at hunting camp..whats your best guess?

Old 11-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

About 3.25 feet.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not surprised...A lot of safety issues and I understand that completely. Thats another whole thread!
The question was about how well you can understand what your bullet does and what you would need to do to make it work if you choose to do so!

Several are right on from my perspective...here is what I came up with:

First I think it is interesting to note how much ground they can cover at different speeds...here a little chart

40 mph = 58.64 feet /second = 6.07' lead
35 mph = 51.31 feet /second = 5.31 lead
30 mph = 43.98 feet /second = 4.50' lead
25 mph = 36.65 feet /second = 3.79' lead
20 mph = 29.32 feet /second = 3.03' lead
15 mph = 21.99 feet /second = 2.27' lead
10 mph = 14.66 feet / second = 1.5' lead

1 mph = 1.466 ft per sec
1.466 x 15 mph means that deer has traveled 21.99 Feet
2900 fps bullet travels 100 yards in .96 tenths of a
second
.96 tenths divided into 21.99 feet = 2.27 feet of lead
Some may see this better...1/10 of 22 feet = 2.2

My first answer was deer REALLY don't run they bound as others
have mentioned
Would I take the shot...that was not the question!
Does it make you think...hope so
Looking through a scope having all this happening instantly I
tend to believe there are not many who can judge what 2.27
feet of lead looks like going left or right

Thanks for all the input I enjoyed it.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Outdoor
Looking through a scope having all this happening instantly I
tend to believe there are not many who can judge what 2.27
feet of lead looks like going left or right

Thanks for all the input I enjoyed it.
Nor what a deer running 15 mph or 20 mph looks like. That 5 mph makes a huge difference in the amount of lead as your chart (which is pretty accurate for the bullet speed) indicates.

Morale of the story????

Don't take long running shots.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Smile

Teedub 31 lets face it most guys don't shoot as well as they brag...would you agree?

If you consider a moving target at 15 mph the odds just about bottom out! I say bet the house he/she will miss...

So many factors ...is he doing 15 mph or 16.32 mph?

Wait...wait...WHO can identify that speed at 100 yards?

I guess I just liked the question from a thinking point of view
Old 11-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
If you swing with the deer and keep swinging through the shot (very hard to do unless it is practiced) no lead is required. Pull the trigger as the crosshairs get to the front of the deer.

The good thing about this method is it compensates automatically for whatever angle the deer is moving. They are not always exactly broadside.

I don't take running shots at this range. I just don't shoot enough, and at 100 yds, there is usually lots or stuff in the way. For me it's better to try to stop the deer with a loud noise, shout, whistle, whatever. Sometimes they'll stop, sometimes they won't.
No, it doesn't. The lateral movement of the bullet is equal to the speed of the muzzle as it's swinging, sure, but the deer is 100 yards away. Think of the deer and the muzzle as concentric circles. The muzzle, being a lot closer to the center of the circle, is moving sideways a lot slower than the deer which is 100 yards away. The ANGULAR velocity is the same, but the lateral velocity is dramatically different. When the bullet leaves the muzzle, it's only moving sideways at the same speed as the muzzle, which is nowhere near as fast as the deer (for a deer traveling 22 fps, 100 yards away, the muzzle of a typical rifle will be moving at 0.25fps laterally). For your method to work, the muzzle would have to be moving at 15mph (22 fps). Now, assuming that the muzzle was 3.5ft from the pivot point, the muzzle will trace a circumference of, conveniently enough, 21.99 feet, which would mean that you'd have to spin at 1 revolution per second, or 60 RPM, to move the bullet fast enough to intercept that deer. Unless you're a really good ballet dancer with an awesome pirouette, and an uncanny sense of timing to make the shot break at the instant the gun was pointed at the deer, you're not gonna make that shot using your proposed method.

According to the JBM Ballistics Calculator (www.jbmballistics.com), a 150 grain Barnes TSX, fired at 2900 fps at a target moving 15mph, 90 degrees to the shooter, will require 29.9" (28.6MOA) of lead at 100 yards. The flight time is 0.113 seconds, which accounts for the reduction in velocity of the bullet over 100 yards of flight (it will arrive at with a velocity of 2,414fps). If you aimed 1 foot in front of it, you'd still liver/gut shoot it unless it was an enormous deer. Holding 2' off fur would give a boiler room hit, but good luck accurately holding that far off the deer at that distance. Your best bet is to grunt/kiss/yell or whatever in the hope that the deer will stop for a second and give you a standing shot.

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 11-27-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

i would be holding even with his nose...then when the crosshairs hit it, drop about 12 inches and squeeze...lead time taken into account, shot behind the shoulder

good question...i am sure many other world problems were solved that evening lol
Old 12-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Huh, too much to think about.

Here's what an old-time told me when I asked him how to shoot running deer, and he shot many, many running deer. He said. "I swing through the shot. When the sights get to the front of the chest I shoot". I'm thinking he meant the leading edge of the chest. He also said he never "worried" about things in the way, but tried to plan the shot so the deer was not in heavy brush when he shot. He used an open sighted Winchester Model 71, .348. The bullet was 250 grains (I think) and not moving all that fast. This was woods hunting and most deer were probably not 100 yards away.

That's all I can tell you.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Huh, too much to think about.

Here's what an old-time told me when I asked him how to shoot running deer, and he shot many, many running deer. He said. "I swing through the shot. When the sights get to the front of the chest I shoot". I'm thinking he meant the leading edge of the chest. He also said he never "worried" about things in the way, but tried to plan the shot so the deer was not in heavy brush when he shot. He used an open sighted Winchester Model 71, .348. The bullet was 250 grains (I think) and not moving all that fast. This was woods hunting and most deer were probably not 100 yards away.

That's all I can tell you.
I agree. I have seen alot of running deer killed and have killed a few myself running full blast with dogs in hot pursuit. At 100yds with a high-powered rifle aim for the front shoulder and you will kill them everytime. Actually, 100yds is not that far to shoot a running deer once you get the hang of it. I have seen an old-timer take one out at 250yds running full blast-that's impressive.