Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big Discussion at hunting camp..whats your best guess?

Old 11-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
If you swing with the deer and keep swinging through the shot (very hard to do unless it is practiced) no lead is required. Pull the trigger as the crosshairs get to the front of the deer.

The good thing about this method is it compensates automatically for whatever angle the deer is moving. They are not always exactly broadside.

I don't take running shots at this range. I just don't shoot enough, and at 100 yds, there is usually lots or stuff in the way. For me it's better to try to stop the deer with a loud noise, shout, whistle, whatever. Sometimes they'll stop, sometimes they won't.
This is not even close to being true.....you still have to account for the time the bullet is in flight.......
Old 11-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Spike

i'd aim for the tip of the nose. the only way im making a running shot is if he's wounded already. I'd rather hit him a bit too much forward instead of back. I'd shot a few whitetails this way and tons of coyotes.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Pick an opening in front of the deer....when you see furr hit the scope pull the tirgger. Im not saying wait till you see it completly... it has to be a reaction to the flash in the scope....works everytime. I have killed plenty of deer running wide open with shotugns, rifles and ML's.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

15mph seems pretty fast....

I'd stop him, blast, pick up my deer.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

i seen a deer doin 40mph once, the guy in front of me hit it goin 60mph...there was a site posted on here that sold deer bumpers, im sure those deer were doin at least 40mph...

shooting a deer on the run...two arguments...safety bein the 1st...and how many times are you gonna be able to shoot this suker b4 he/she gets outta sight...prolly once...so 90% of the time you have a wounded deer, and the other 10% die because they make some good bullets these days, can i get an amen?..shout out to nosler ty tyvm...
jus not the ethics i am teaching to my kids, and my ol' lady, or my bff, any of my family...but to each his own and looks like the nose of the deer is the place to aim after all my math i did fer 10 minutes, that'll put it in the boiler room.-
Old 11-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

As soon as I see fur I shoot, not much lead other than the front shoulder... As long as your confident in your ability and practice, along with safety!

One @ 75 yards and one at 60 yards... Worked for me...

Two for Two!

Although I didn't pull the trigger the other day with my muzzle loader on a real corker, didn't feel safe or comfortable... Every circumstance brings an individual quest, know your abilities, and everyone's different, so no"Canned Answer" sorry...

Last edited by Edcyclopedia; 11-25-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Arrow holy crap! If you cant make that shot stay in Ohio!

If you want to mule deer hunt you darn sure better be able to make that shot! Since mule deer also have the pogo gate there are 2 different leads.

Pogo gate- chest high, half way between the chin and the chest.

Running- under the chin, chest high

We used to practice rolling a tire down a slight incline with cardboard on it to see the bullet holes. It also helped in follow up shots!

Hope this helps
Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I refuse to believe any of the replies until I hear from etothepi!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Bigbulls had it right. Lets look at his response from a slightly different angle.

The deer is standing broadside to you at 100 yards and is perfectly still. You aim at the sweet spot right behind the should and pull the trigger. .111 seconds later (300 feet divided by average bullet speed of 2700 ft/sec) the bullet puts a hole in the rib cage at you point of aim.

Now as was said before a deer traveling 15 mph covers 22 ft/second of ground. Now if you hold at that same sweet spot and pull your triger while the deer is running, that sweet spot is now 2.42 feet left or right (depending on the direction the deer is running from your veiw point) from you initial aiming point. The best you can hope for is a clean miss if you take this shot, but you will very likely hit the deer in the ham or gut resulting more thimes then not a dead deer that the hunter was unable to recover..

So yes speed of deer in ft/sec X bullet flight time in seconds will give you the approximate lead. Problem is the speed of the deer is almost impossible to quantify accurately enough in the feild on a snap shot. Just a 2mph increase in the deers speed will result in the lead being another 4 more inches on top of the initial lead of 2.5 feet.

Now who can tell me the difference between a deer running at 15 mph and one running at 20 mph instaneously????

Shooting at running deer is a crap shoot with the odds stacked against you being successful.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think I would shoot at a running or trotting deer farther than 75 yards away. If it is full-out running I probably wouldn't shoot unless it was within 50 yards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.