Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big Discussion at hunting camp..whats your best guess?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

40 mph? I was just figuring on it going kinda full bore. 15 mph to me seems more like a trot than running.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had came up with a 5-6 ft lead in calculations but it just seemed off to me.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
isnipe would kill the deer. The rest of you would have gut shot it.

If you squeeze off a shot right behind the shoulder while a deer is running 15mph then you are going to hit that deer right through the intestines or the hind legs.

Aim about a foot in front of the deer and you will hit it square through both lungs.

A 30 caliber bullet leaving the muzzle at 2900 fps is in flight for approximately .108 seconds when it reaches 100 yards.

In .108 seconds a deer running at 15 miles per hour will cover 2.376 feet.
This is the math I was going to do but given the bullet is slowing down to 2600 fps at 100 yards I would say give it 3 feet of lead from desired point of impact.

Last edited by RugerM77.270; 11-25-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

is this really necessary? are there people using radar to determine how fast a deer is running past them?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

How can you identify a running dear if you have AR, practice QDM, or just plain love brown it's down?
How many more headlines do we need of hunters, sons, or fathers killed during deer drives or shots on running deer? I have never once taken a shot at a running deer, and have dove for cover a few times when some idiot shot directly at us. Rifle season is just upon us in PA WMU3D. Our unit borders NJ, with NY 78 miles to the east. Dangerous to be a hunter, dog walker, aborist, horse, or you name it on public lands 11/30/09!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

Ixnay on the long running shotsay. I have taken running shots at deer but they have all been within 40 yards or so. That was also a time when I shot at every buck I saw. Now I am more choosy and a running shot at a deer 100 yards away doesn't give me the time to judge like I would like.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PAThwacker
How can you identify a running dear if you have AR, practice QDM, or just plain love brown it's down?
How many more headlines do we need of hunters, sons, or fathers killed during deer drives or shots on running deer? I have never once taken a shot at a running deer, and have dove for cover a few times when some idiot shot directly at us. Rifle season is just upon us in PA WMU3D. Our unit borders NJ, with NY 78 miles to the east. Dangerous to be a hunter, dog walker, aborist, horse, or you name it on public lands 11/30/09!
Thank You, at least there's one other person out there who thinks of safety first.

And just another thing to think about; when a deer is running he's constantly moving up and down. You have to think about where his chest is at when he's at the top of his leap, and where his chest is at when it's closest to the ground at the instant before he leaps. This makes your vertical target area about 3" high. Also, if he's not exactly perpendicular to you the angle of his run has to be taken into account. You would have to swing your rifle at the exact angle, and the steeper that the angle is also diminishes your vertical target area.

In my opinion; we're out in the woods trying to outsmart a wild animal who lives there. If he's running from you it's because you failed at outsmarting him this time. Your chance of harvesting him are much slimmer than the chance of missing or worse yet mortally wounding him. Just let him run away, there's always tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you swing with the deer and keep swinging through the shot (very hard to do unless it is practiced) no lead is required. Pull the trigger as the crosshairs get to the front of the deer.

The good thing about this method is it compensates automatically for whatever angle the deer is moving. They are not always exactly broadside.

I don't take running shots at this range. I just don't shoot enough, and at 100 yds, there is usually lots or stuff in the way. For me it's better to try to stop the deer with a loud noise, shout, whistle, whatever. Sometimes they'll stop, sometimes they won't.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

Funny how threads like this get derailed. The question pertained to leading the deer, not whether anyone's personal ethics preclude the shot. OK, so let's pretend it's a target on a moving trolley system going 15 mph at 100 yards and in a perfectly safe situation. How much do you lead it?

In case anyone wonders, I've taken 70+ deer but never a shot at one moving at more than a slow walk. So I simply took the question at its face value - an interesting analysis of the parameters given.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Interesting question.
I would have answered half a body length which we now know is the incorrect answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.